• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust question

imq707s

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
I'm thinking about putting a flowmaster muffler on my 97 5.0 explorer. On the stock exhaust there is a muffler and a round canister further back towards the rear of the vehicle. What is this canister? Should I take it out and install a piece of pipe in it's place when I put the new mufflers on? Do the 70 series Flowmasters sound any good? I want an exhaust that is just a little louder than stock and still gives better performance. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Flowmaster 50 Series

The round canister behind the muffler is the resonator. I have a Flowmaster 50 series Delta-Flow on it's way from rpmoutlet.com (mailto:george@rpmoutlet.com). I have received differing advice whether to leave the resonator in place or redo the entire piping back to the exhaust tip. The advice I am taking for now is to leave the resonator in place, just slipping the new muffler in place of the old. If it's too quiet or not as powerful I will then replace the piping too. The muffler w/install at your local shop should run around a total of $120. Redo the piping all the way back and the quote jumps to $314 with SS tip! As for the muffler, the 70 series does not come in a Delta-Flow configuration and, in the general opinion of many, is for old ladies. The 40 series is very aggressive. The one that is fairly quiet, with a mild resonance at 1,800 rpm and great performance is the 50 series. It all depends how much resonance you can live with but the performance difference between the 40 and 50 series is said not to be that great, mainly the tone and volume. Hope this helps.

resinator...

I have recently put a flowmaster 50 series on my truck and i left the resinator on. The muffler is not as loud as I would have liked and I have been told it has to do with the resinator. I heard that the only thing the resinator is good for is to reduce noise and it does not hinder the HP factor. I am thinking about taking the resinator off but then i would have to redo the piping according to the muffler shop. I just thought i'd put my two cents into this discussion :).
Kristen

I think you guys are all wrong and he is talking about the catalytic converter. You take that off your car is illegal. I don't recommend doing it cause you won't pass smog and your car will stink like gas fumes. Just my opinion though...

fordexplorersport97;
The item imq707s is refering to is the resonator. It is located downstream of the muffler on the tail pipe. Its only purpose (except adding one more thing to rust under your truck:rolleyes: ) is to assist the muffler in reducing the level of the exhaust resonance (sp?) in order to meet the standards set by the manufacturer. It does not affect emissions nor is it illegal to remove.
Just wanted to clear that up.

I've got the 50 series on mine, with 3" tailpipe. It's not that loud on the outside, but on the inside, between about 1,700 to 2,100 rpm, it's obnoxious. And I LIKE loud exhaust. This is the 7th vehicle I've run Flowmaster on, and the first one with single exhaust that I didn't like; the duals resonate/drone big time.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Pete

Pete;
Are you running the current set-up without the resonator?

I have just purchased a 50 series Flowmaster and planned on having the resonator removed upon installation. The tech at Flowmaster told me that it can be removed but do not run piping any larger than 2.5" after the muffler, any larger will give a bad sound to it. The other thing I heard was that the 4.0 SOHC's sound bad when you dual out them. MY Flowmaster is a dual in/single out. Any reccomendations on what kind of tail pipe to put on? That is my new big dilema. Well, 2nd dilema. The 1st is K&N or KKM.

Flowmaster

Jason

What is the part # for the flowmaster you purchased? Last time I called they did not have a dual inlet, single outlet for the 4.0 sohc. Thanks for taking the time.

Bluescat:

The '96 V8 didn't come with a resonator, so mine doesn't have one.

Pete

I just got aFlowmaster 40 series dual outlet w/o a resonator and 2 1/4 in. pipes. It sounds great. A lot more rumble than I expected. A neighbor of mine has a '99 or so V8 w/ a 50 series and dual outlet. It sounds good, but a little too quiet. From what I've seen, the bigger the diameter pipes, the more they resonate and don't sound as good.

Does the 40 series sound decent when running stock tail piping?

50 series single

Im sure the 40 series would sound great with stock pipe! I just had a 50 series installed and new 2.25 pipe with no chrome tip as of yet. So it looks stock. Maybe I can find a tip for it later. Who makes cool tips? Also the resonator was removed. Nice low rumble at idle. I like it alot when i floor it. However, highway travel at about 2800rpm or 70 + MPH its kinda loud and annoying inside. 65mph is fine. Im going to put it to the test this weeking by driving 600 miles to LA see if I can deal with it. But I dunno if I want to drive 600 miles @ 65mph on I5. hehe oh well..

imq707s.... I have the 70 series on my '98 V8, and it delivers just what you want.

so do i just get the single in center single out center? I dont want any of that dual nonsense. I just want it to replace my stock muffler. also do the earlier explorers 91-94 have resonators? thanks

single pipe

I had a local shop do it for $200. Duals were $350+. Duals would have taken much longer to fab. More shielding would be needed for the other pipe because of other hoses running over it and stuff. But it can be done andwhen done right can look very good like T-bones explorer.

The 91-94's don't have a resonator. Is it possible to fab duals from the muffler back by yourself?

Dunno about doing it yourself. The guy had a machine to bend the pipe and a torch. He used a small wire and bent it to match the way the pipe should route. Then used it as a template in order to bend the pipe. Also I think a circular saw was used to cut the pipe. He took it off the lift and started it up. Vrooooom! Then this funky smell came out of the pipe. He told me it will go away in a few days and it did.

My '91 had a resonator pipe. It's the first thing to rust and actually fell off on my girlfriends '93. It's just another way for Ford to make some money off of those suckers who take it back for stock exhaust replacement.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back