exhaust replacement options | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

exhaust replacement options

driftbendito

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
The exhaust system on my 98 4.0 explorer is in need of replacement. The hangers are broken and the flange that connects to the cat is rusted out. I'm trying to find a stock replacement exhaust online, but all I can find are side exit performance exhausts. I don't want a loud exhaust. Does anybody know of a website where I can order a stock replacement or a quiet exhaust? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stock replacement is a waste of money

The exhaust system on my 98 4.0 explorer is in need of replacement. The hangers are broken and the flange that connects to the cat is rusted out. I'm trying to find a stock replacement exhaust online, but all I can find are side exit performance exhausts. I don't want a loud exhaust. Does anybody know of a website where I can order a stock replacement or a quiet exhaust? thanks

You might as well just buy a Gibson cat-back. It will give you little more performance, and it's supposed to be not much louder than stock. It will also be a lot cheaper than buying an actual correct stock replacement system. Talk to James @ Henson Performance www.hensonperformance.com

I got mine from NAPA..I think it was less than 150.00

I got mine from NAPA..I think it was less than 150.00

But that doesn't inlcude the tailpipe, or the intermediate pipes. For a complete stock replacement, from the cats back, it's closer to $200, plus tax, and you're still stuck with the crappy,restrictive stock 2-into-1 muffler, with a too small tailpipe.

For $250 + shipping, you can get the MAC cat-back. Admittedly, it's a bit louder than the Gibson, so I've heard. The Gibson cat-back is only a little more $312 + shipping.
http://www.hensonperformance.com/Productsftex_Catback.html

Either one will probably last longer than a parts-store replacement, and they'll perform better.
It just seems to me, with such a small difference in cost, you might as well get the better parts.

I recently did a cat back on my 95 4.0. The parts (intermediate pipe, muffler, tailpipe) were about $180 from Autozone. Also, the flange on the converter was busted up, and I thought I was going to have to get the converter as well. A mechanic told me about a split flange repair kit. It was only $8 and it worked well. Here's a link to the flange that I'm referring to: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MRW0/529200.oap?partType=N0075&parentPartType=C0022

Back