• Register Today It's free!

Best "Stock" Catback Exhaust?

UnorthodoxCreat

Reaction score
City, State
outside Hanover, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V6, 06 Limited V8
I have a '97 4.0L SOHC Explorer. About a year ago I replaced the catback because it was rusted out and failed inspection. I put on a JBA Headers Evol Exhaust Systems 40-2532 from Summit Racing because it seemed to sound decent, was priced reasonable and best of all was stainless and would never rust. Maybe I'm getting old but a year later I just want a quiter exhaust. Where is the best place to buy a "stock" exhaust? I don't want to pay Ford prices but I'm sure if the exhausts that you can get from somewhere like Autozone are going to be as quiet as stock. I don't care about it being stainless, I just want quiet. Any reccommendations? I'd like to get something soon and sell this JBA exhaust system. I would even trade for a good stock exhaust.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would not change the entire exhaust system; just
swap out the muffler. There are many choices and
the turbo styles seem to be quieter than the straight
through types.

You could even add a resonator to your existing
muffler to quieten it down.

I would not change the entire exhaust system; just
swap out the muffler. There are many choices and
the turbo styles seem to be quieter than the straight
through types.

You could even add a resonator to your existing
muffler to quieten it down.

I've considered that. My biggest hesitation is that if I'm going to change things I want to get it right the first time. I don't want to spend more money and still be unhappy. Pretty much every muffler out there seems geared towards power and loudness, the opposite of what I care about with this vehicle.

Look for a non-straight-through design, and the longest and largest muffler body you can fit in the location.

I think that is right...

I agree with Runnin'OnEmpty, add some resonators at the back, they're cheap and easy to do.
I once shut my 370hp Charger up by running lots of glass packs and resonators.

Look for a non-straight-through design, and the longest and largest muffler body you can fit in the location.

I think that is right...

this :thumbsup: turbo mufflers do seem to be quiter then the rest. go to a junk yard and pull a stock muffler off of something that will fit?

Walker has what you need, all direct fit. Get the muffler and the resonator.

add a glasspack as a resonator.

I think you're getting some good info here and the headers themselves aren't causing the excessive noise. However, if you do replace the headers with stock stuff please contact me. If you have a 4x4 I might buy them from you.

Cheers,

Back