Exhaust setup | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust setup

Atom 8

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
I have an '01 5.0 with factory cast iron manifolds and all 4 cats. Will it sound decent with true duals with Flowmaster 40's (non-delta flow) and dumped before the axle? I'm not sure what kind of sound to expect running 4 cats. I would like to hear some opinions before I do it. I may consider losing the 2nd set of cats, but probably not. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i tried tons of muffler on my 4.0 with all 4 cats, and all sounded ricey, so i ditched the two downstream cats, and will soon replace them with high flow ones. idk for sure what it will be like on the 5.0 though.
to find out, just unbolt the pipe after the cats, and run it with no muffler for a few mins just to hear the sound, if it sounds ricey and bad, then a muffler isnt really gonna change that, its only gonna make it quiter, and maybe a tiny bit deeper.

im guessing on a v8 that it should be pretty good sounding even with 4 cats... i mean, its a v8 after all :D

and if you really wanna get nice sound and power, TM headers is the only way to go for the 5.0, and many...many people will attest to that.

I put a dynomax exhaust on my truck withthe 5.0. It was too quiet so I removed the muffler and straight piped it and now I like the sound. If I were to do it again Id run a resonator to give it a little better sound but it sounds pretty good as is.

Do you guys know any1 who sells the y pipe w/o cats on it? I wouldnt mind picking one up cause it looks like a power sucker with all thoes cats.

I just have mine dumped out right after the cats. I think it sounds awsome, it is loud in the cab but I don't really mind that. Sometime I plan on just having it exit out the side and should make it a little less loud in the cab. It is a nice deep tone though.

Do you guys know any1 who sells the y pipe w/o cats on it? I wouldnt mind picking one up cause it looks like a power sucker with all thoes cats.

I dont believe their is a big market for something like that but I have a set of Magnaflow down pipes with cats for sale if you are interested. They look really nice and look better than factory cats. Dont know if the flow anybetter. I got rid of the truck before I could put them on.

Back