• Register Today It's free!

Post your exhaust setup!

HippuJiima

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT, 4.0L SOHC V6
What's your setup on your Explorer? Do you keep it stock or do you have a full fledged dual exhaust?

I was thinking about getting this Flowmaster for my SOHC (link) just to spice up the growl a bit--nothing too much

I don't see too many recent videos of peoples' exhaust builds, so feel free to link any vids if you wanna show off, I'd be glad to comment on them and ask some questions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1996 4.0 OHC

Current: Borla M5200FA full stainless catback
Previous: Gibson 19686 aluminized catback

underside pic. resonator delete and borla pro xs muff. may get a clip soon

8F1EDDF5-D35D-494E-9DAE-56A9BAB6172C.jpeg

1996 4.0 OHC

Current: Borla M5200FA full stainless catback
Previous: Gibson 19686 aluminized catback
How do you like your current setup compared to your last? I heard the OHVs have less susceptibility to droning compared to the SOHCs

How do you like your current setup compared to your last? I heard the OHVs have less susceptibility to droning compared to the SOHCs
cant speak for toypaseo, but i can say gibson sounded more hollow, kind of Ups truck ish. borla much crisper and tighter, but it does drone alot, at least without the resonator. gibson had a resonator lol. not talking about catback, just muff changes

have had gibson, dynomax, flowmaster, and borla. not in this order. of all of them dynomax was quietest and east drone, also had the bassiest tone. but imo overall really happy with the borla

I’ve ran flowmaster on all my vehicles from my Tundra, Tacoma, 94 Chevy and the mountaineer. I’ve ran the 40 series with it dumped before the axle. I’m not sure what series is on the mountaineer as it was already installed but it’s dumped before the axle as well. I prefer the sound of flow master over the others that my friends had.

I’ve ran flowmaster on all my vehicles from my Tundra, Tacoma, 94 Chevy and the mountaineer. I’ve ran the 40 series with it dumped before the axle. I’m not sure what series is on the mountaineer as it was already installed but it’s dumped before the axle as well. I prefer the sound of flow master over the others that my friends had.
i can imagine a FM being great with a 5.0, after all very similar to the stang ;) as far the v6 though i like borla, but jmo. its like asking what wax is the best :p infinitely many right answers

i can imagine a FM being great with a 5.0, after all very similar to the stang ;) as far the v6 though i like borla, but jmo. its like asking what wax is the best :p infinitely many right answers
My tundra was a v6, it had a flow master 50 that fell off a Ford ranger 1450 truck, I then used that on my buddies bronco then installed on my 4cyl Tacoma. I then switched that out for a 40 series to get a little more tone. Chevy is v8 and that got a flowmaster I found on marketplace, I have a set of single chambers for the LS swap. I’m debating putting one on mountaineer 🤷‍♂️

Don’t get me wrong the others have different tones/sounds and it’s all preference really of what you like to hear, kinda like music

Don’t get me wrong the others have different tones/sounds and it’s all preference really of what you like to hear, kinda like music
agree with this, it does depend on the person!

True Duals Saleen XP8 Borla Exhaust system with OBX headers and X-Pipe

Man thats a nice gritty sound. Might do true duals on my explorer depending on how i feel about my soon-to-be setup

Man thats a nice gritty sound. Might do true duals on my explorer depending on how i feel about my soon-to-be setup
thats a v8, and a nice one at that ;) ive heard true dual on an ohv, it sounds really good! if its the sohc sounds any way similiar! may have a video of the dynomax, and possibly one of the borla. gotta dig bad in the wayback for that one ;)

thats a v8, and a nice one at that ;) ive heard true dual on an ohv, it sounds really good! if its the sohc sounds any way similiar! may have a video of the dynomax, and possibly one of the borla. gotta dig bad in the wayback for that one ;)
Well if you do Id love to hear it. My white SOHC just got a "new" motor and it already sounds good, can't wait for the muffler to get here tomorrow :hammer:

Actually, just got your DM, sounds nice!

Mostly stock, blown 302 at 9lbs and around 385HP and 456ftlbs of torque. The stock 5.0 Y- pipe and cats are 2 1/4 to 2 1/2", pretty decent sized but I couldn't believe how much the stock 5.0 necks-down at the muffler, down to 1 3/4"ish.

I kept the Y-pipe with all four cats and added a turbo muffler with 2 1/2" dual in Single 3" out with 3" tailpipe. It is not loud, no drone, with a little low rumble at idle.

I'd like to make a custom Y with two single high flow cats and likely a turbo muffler with a resonator..................Loud is not fast IMHO and I like to hear the valve train and whrrrrr of the blower.

Ok, lets see if my links work for pics. My setup is a discontinued (why would they discontinue a part for a vehicle on 27 years old....) Flowmaster Force II catback (mandrel bent pipes not Stainless though). Developed a small rust hole in the muffler few years back. Couldnt find the exact muffler from Flowmaster and they do not warranty the steel mufflers so I purchased a Magnaflow. Had Magnaflow on another SUV and their warranty was Lifetime, preferred the sound so I replaced it with a Magnaflow (part no: 11265) . Took some time to find one with same dimensions but it worked out well. Less than a few hundred miles since the muffler was replaced in May of 2022. Actually, havent driven the Explorer much at all in many years.

Snagged a few pics of my exhaust while I was changing out the torsion key bolts.
AF89DBFA-4E5A-408B-871A-14785A6C1B18.jpeg
9D12C820-42F9-4166-8233-E9A3E035E888.jpeg

I have to have the emissions on this one or try to get/pay for an exception..................

With four cats the turbo muffler is very mild. This thread has me looking. I found a Flowmaster with dual 2.5" inlets and single 3" outlet to fit my set-up.

Flowmaster 425403-FM FlowMonster 2-Chamber Muffler 2.5″ Dual In/3″ Out​

$51.62 shipped! Ha, Ha, Ha, FlowMonster!!! I hope is pisses of a certain neighbor.
Will replace this:
turbo-muffler.jpg

With this:
FlowMonster.jpg

My Exhaust thread here: DIY 5.0 Exhaust on the cheap for My Build?

I have to have the emissions on this one or try to get/pay for an exception..................

With four cats the turbo muffler is very mild. This thread has me looking. I found a Flowmaster with dual 2.5" inlets and single 3" outlet to fit my set-up.

Flowmaster 425403-FM FlowMonster 2-Chamber Muffler 2.5″ Dual In/3″ Out​

$51.62 shipped! Ha, Ha, Ha, FlowMonster!!! I hope is pisses of a certain neighbor.
Will replace this:
View attachment 438141
With this:
View attachment 438142

My Exhaust thread here: DIY 5.0 Exhaust on the cheap for My Build?
Yep, snagged one just like this and grabbed some adapters to fit onto the 2.25" stock pipes. If not this Monday, then I'm gonna spend next weekend fitting it on and getting the ******* off the jack stands so I can finally use them for my 'Vette hahahaha

I didn't want it loud, but should have listened here, after four cats, a chamber muffler it won't be that loud.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back