Exhaust Split Flange

J5hort

Reaction score
City, State
South Easton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT
1995 Sport
Hey all, working on the 4th Gen Explorer with the 4.6L V8. Got 220K miles and original exhaust. Heard some exhaust nose and feared a new muffler or system was in order. Pleased to find tat it was the usual rusted loose flange. Was able to remove it and the very rusted bolts and took to the store to get a split flange. Appears that it is a very hard to find item. The pipe it needs to secure (muffler side) appears to be 3" and the bolt pattern looks to be 5 inches on center. Anyone have a source for this? Has to be a split flange as I am not panning to replace any pipes, they are in great shape. I did try to fabricate a larger one using the 2.5 inch split flange pieces. Seems to be holding, but matter of time before it needs to be replaced.

PXL_20221002_224928789.MP.jpg

Don't recall what size it was, but I made one work that was from RockAuto. It was too small but it managed for several years until the muffler rotted out.

Seen a few from my Googling that are larger for late model Camaro that might work, but they are more oval. Thanks for the rockauto tip. I usually go there to get part numbers.
Ya know there is not much to the laminated split flanges, as I learned when taking the smaller ones apart. A simple redesign and cutout by plasma table would do the trick. Also saw some made from steel rod with flattened and holed ends that look pretty sturdy.

Back