Exploder Noob, Ranger Expert w/??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exploder Noob, Ranger Expert w/???

Reaction score
City, State
Cass Co, Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 5.0 EB Ex
First off... Hello to the Explorer Community! Glad to join you! I've been a TRS member for quite a few years now, but now I'm also in need of some Explorer specific guidance.

I am no stranger to RBVs, my list is as follows;
88 B2, bone stock/ sold
86 B2, bone stock/ sold
89 B2, chop top, 2" lift, 31"s/ sold
94 Ranger, D44, 9", 35"s, way too much to list, soon to be on tractor tires/ current toy
98 B3000, parted out, parts truck/ body for tube frame truggy build
88 Ranger, 93 engine trans dash a/c swap, 4/5 drop/ still own
98 Ranger, 01 edge clip, Alcoas, super DD/ sold...
99 Explorer, EB, 5.0, awd, room for my 1st carseat!

And now for some Exploder questions...
1. Is it common for the heater core to plug up? My heater sucks, and yes I've checked the basics. I just replaced the leaking WP, and purged the system. Are there any blend door issues or problems with auto climate control?
2. Do worn CV shafts ever make a growling/ wheelbearing type noise? Noise is in the LF, could it possibly be the diff? AWD is new to me...
3. Can I loosen the t-bar keys to level/ compensate the sagging leaf springs, and still keep it within alignment specs?
4. With the help of rear airbags, would this truck be ok for towing my other truck to and from local off-road parks and events? Up to 4-5 hr drives, mostly within an hour.

Thanks Guys!

1. Not really but it can happen
2. I'm the wrong person to answer that but Im pretty sure cv joints making a popping sound
3. Depends how much you lower it. Most people on here lift the rear. I'd suggest getting an alignment anyways, cheaper than tires
4. Throw a trans cooler on there and it should be ok. Not the best as the trucks aren't really meant for towing a lot, but the v8 has a strong trans. Just expect to get pushed around by the wind, and take away to get to speed. A f-350 would be way better for towing other trucks

1. There is a blend door issue. Search for blend door and you'll find about 1000 threads on it.
2. Your transfer case is shot. Read this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375470
3. It is possible but I fixed mine with $20 lifting shackles from AutoZone.
4. Put an extra trans cooler and tranny temp gauge on it first. Heat absolutely kills these transmissions (im on my 3rd.)

Back