About at Wits End - Alternator Not Charging - FIXED | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

About at Wits End - Alternator Not Charging - FIXED

by any chance,,did you check in the power dist. box under the hood,check the alt field fuse,iirc its a 15 amp fuse..my current explorer had some problems with my volts down at n,charging light was on,lights were dim but still ran good and all,thought it was battery,replaced and was still on,replaced alternator and still on,here it was the 15amp fuse under the hood,its the alternator field fuse

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey all, new to the forums.

chet i have a 93 as well and one thing i think you need to check is your starter. if the starter is loose, it can have an affect on the alt. the starter has to be grounded to the block properly. i had the same problem with mine and tightening the bolts on the starter got the alt working correctly. the battery was good as was my alt. try that and see what happens.

thanks

I'll check that. Had battery tested again today, at Advance Auto Parts and they too said it was good. Poped it in, started it, and it died once, then started it again, and it ran, but has a semi-rough idle (let it run for like 3 mins) Also, battery light is confirmed good because its on, however I have to pull the inst cluster again because i dont think i got the Speedometer cable all the way in (tach was not working). No CEL, just the semi-rough idle.

Fu*# Me, it was the damn fuse.... pics to be posted when i get the cable for the camera.

good thing i said something,other wise you'd still be scratchin your head..was it the one i said?

yeah it was a 15a fuse, dark blue, i replaced the other one as a preemptive strike aswell

I checked my fuses as well but they're all intact. One was looking kind of iffy but still good--though I cannot remember what one right now. The starter is on tight. Ill check out the negative wires later today, and switch out that fuse just in case.

--And that would have been my reply IF i didn't rethink Chetzars last post about it being a 15amp fuse dark blue. I didn't remember there being a 15amp there. Ran outside popped the hood, fuse box and BLAM! there they were. I checked them all but those 15ers. I was probably too pissed and overlooked them. I grabbed an extra, popped it in, and problem solved. I wish I wasn't an idiot. I'm so relived that I don't even care about having to buy new cables or a battery. Well maybe a little pissed about the battery. Thanks guys. hahaha

Well....problem being the battery light on. We'll see if it is all fixed as I drive it. Seriously thanks again everyone. Wish I didn't kill that battery though :(

Yup, sure enough, it was this little bugger!

DSC02287

Thanks to Everyone who help out. I would have had to end up taking it to the shop had it not been for the help here (seriously, I would of never guess in my life there was a fuse for the voltage regulator in the PDB).
And Thanks for Renamming the thread, the new Title fits the subject matter better.

PS: BTW since you all save me atleast $40, I think i'll be taking up that Stimulus Package for Elite Membership offer sometime this week!

glad i could help..as u were explaining everything,it made me remember when my current explorer did that,i replaced the ignition,battery and alternator,and here it was that damn fuse,thats why i told u to check it,figuring u probably had the same problem i did a few months ago

I have a '97 Mountaineer and have been having the exact same problems as Chetzar. I looked tonight and I'll be it was the exact same thing!!!

I had posted in the 911 forum (for elite members only) and no one there mentioned the fuse.

Thank you for posting what the problem ended up being. So many never post the fix to their problem.

Damn Lol, maybe we should sticky this Lol

That's what I was thinking. A moderator will have to sticky it.

hay i got same prob starts good runs good changed cables charged batt all fuses good but still no charge i keep reading about a 175 amp fuse somewhere around batt but cant find it any ideas

15 amp fuse, check it first.

So my Alternator seized up smoked my serpentine belt. Got towed bought new alternator, then battery light on and no charge while driving. Swaped to a good spare alternator. no go, then I pulled batteries to test, checked voltage to wires and battery cables, checked all under dash fuses, checked starter cable..... then checked forum and what do you know could have saved my self 2 days of headaches! POWER DISTROBUTION BOX FUSE, its a little mini 15 amp dark blue!!! check it first :)

Fixed my problem as well, glad i hadnt started rooting around replacing all kinds of cables. Glad i found this 10 yr old post!

Back