Exploding rear window?

meangene21

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie Bauer
Let me explain before my questions...

On Friday the 13th, as i prepared to leave from work I opened up the rear window to set my backpack down in the explorer. Well, as I opened up the door and tossed in my backpack I started to close the window. As the window got about 1/4 way down it just EXPLODED on me !! Some would say it shattered but, when you have to pick glass out of your hand... I say exploded !!! Now this glass hit NOTHING at all. The only thing I can think of was too much stress from one of the shocks ( which the dealership replaced about 5 months ago ).... So I have done some searching and found that this glass runs about $700. OUCH !!! I searched some more and found a recall for the side and rear windows.. Here is the ID number "DEC 11, 2007 | Recall ID# 50045".
My questions are...... Has this happened to anyone else? Has anyone taken advantage of this recall? Needless to say that with this issue AND the rear end issue which the dealership will not fix becuase Quote, Un-Quote "it is not actually broken"... I am starting to have second thoughts about this year explorer!:thumbdwn:

I had this happen on my 2000 Explorer. I wasn't even shutting it, it was just sitting in the parking lot. Glass was sprayed all over out in the parking lot. Tempered glass due to temperature change stress will just explode occasionally.

I had this happen on my 2000 Explorer. I wasn't even shutting it, it was just sitting in the parking lot. Glass was sprayed all over out in the parking lot. Tempered glass due to temperature change stress will just explode occasionally.

Was browsing and came across this thread.

In a somewhat related incident, a friend's Nissan Murano had the glass sunroof explode in much the same manner (while she was driving, and it scared the heck out of her).

As I remember it, no one (dealer, manufacturer) wanted to take responsiblity for it, so it ended up going through insurance for the repair.

Back