Explorer 1995 4R55E to 5R55E No Lockup | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 1995 4R55E to 5R55E No Lockup

OzzE

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 1995
Hello! I really need help!

I changed my old 4R55E wich broke a band to a 5R55E from a 1997 Explorer.
The tranny was just rebuild.

Lockup failed to engage immediatly when I took the car for a test drive.
What happens is that when I pass a certain speed (80km/h) lockup should engage but instead the OD light starts to flash. At first I had lots of DTC's wich I have now fixed. Well.. All but one. Code 648. All gears seem to shift like the car was new, up until that moment when OD should kick in.

I usually disconnect the battery and reset the computer. When I drive I have to remember to press the OD button on the shiftstick to disable it. Then I can drive without any problems.. Although at a higher rpm since the od is disabled.

I should probably mention that I used the torque converter from my old tranny (I cleaned it thoroughly before I installed it). Why didn't I use the one from the 5R55E? When I shook it, I heard a rattling sound from within the tc wich I couln't locate. My old one seemed better.
I also used the bellhousing from the 4R55E as mentioned in another thread.

What have I done sofar?

1. Well, I have tested the TCC solenoid by grounding a certain pin in the pcm connector-cable while having the ignition on and I can hear the solenoid going on and off under the car.

2. I adjusted the bands, both OD and intermediate just 1 hour ago (I followed Brooklynbays guide, 2 turns on OD and 2.5 on intermediate)

3. Checked oil level wich is perfekt.

4. Rechecked that the oil I used meets the required standard.
http://www.mobil.com/Ukraine-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobil_ATF_320.asp

Could there be a sensor sending the wrong info to the PCM?

Please! I desperatly need help as the car broke over a year ago and I still haven't got it running as it should!
I know there are people out there with lots of knowledge about these things, please, Help me.

Regards
Henrik from Sweden

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your PCM (computer) was designed to operate a 4 speed auto transmission, the 98 is a 5 speed, you probably weren't able to hook up the sensor on the driver side top rear. It's not going to work and when the OD light is flashing the trans is in limp mode. The computer and wiring has to match the transmission. The 98 was probably a SOHC engine, yours may not be.

from all I have been able to gather you cant make the 5r55e work where the 4r55e used to be. they dont swap out with out a lot of rewiring and stuff

Look at this:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-34303.html

This thread states that the swap is possible. When using the old PCM i get a 4 speed just like with the 4R55E. I would be happy with that but the lockup is still not working.
The 5R55E that I installed in my ´95 is from a ´97 wich has the same engine that I have.

The company that I bought the tranny from told me the swap is ok. The 5R has an extra sensor wich I was told to just skip. That would make the 5R work as a 4R.
The extra sensor has something to do with how the fifth gear is achieved.

What controls the lockup? What needs to be achieved for the tranny to enter lockup?
I think that perhaps a sensor on my new tranny is malfunktioning. I just don't know wich one to replace... Is there a way to test the sensors?

Sorry for that looks like it should work. Torque converter lock up is controlled by the PCM, when all sensors including some engine sensors meet the requirements, it activates the the TC solenoid in the pan.

I adjusted the Neutal safety switch when I ajusted the bands. Never had any problems starting the car though..
Could there be a problem with the TPS or the VSS? The lockup is the only thing not working, everything else works the way it should. I guess I should see more problems if these sensors were malfuntioning..?

I believe he used the DTR switch from the 4R55E, this switch tells the computer what gear to select, it's not just a neutral switch. The switch on the 5R55E is a 5 speed switch.

I forgot to tell u guys that I used my old switch aswell.

Thanks for trying to help me guys! I really appreciate this!

Can the Torque converter break? What would the symptoms be if it did?

I really don't know. If it doesn't enter closed loop, would that give a code 648?
Is there a way to see if it enters closed loop? Like a test?

Scanner may be required

I'm not familiar with OBDI. On my 2000 with OBDII, my scanner tells me if the PCM is in open or closed loop.

648 (M) Transmission 4th gear failure

Your 4 speed PCM assumes that 4th speed is direct drive with overdrive engaged and activates the appropriate solenoids in the 4R55E transmission. There is also a solenoid for the torque converter. Have you confirmed that the wiring for each solenoid in the 4R55E goes to the same solenoid in the 5R55E?

4R55E vs 5R55E wiring

I compared the 1996 4R55E transmission wiring diagram with my 2000 5R55E wiring diagram. The pin numbers for all of the solenoids are the same even though some of the wire colors differ. I noticed that on the 4R55E the solenoid connected to pins 10 & 9 is labeled Coast Clutch Solenoid (CCS) while on the 5R55E is it labeled Shift Solenoid (SSD). I don't know if that is significant.

An update:

I was wrong all along!
OD works! What I thought was 4th gear is infact 3rd gear with od activated.
I spoke to a tranny mechanic earlier today and he told me to drive at around 100km/h (60mph) and gently press the throttle.. and while doing that the rpm's should increase with the same speed as the speedometer... and it does.
I have been trying to fix a problem that isn't there :(

What controls the 4th gear? The mechanic told me to check the oilpressure to the forward band by pressing the lid to the OD servo in a little bit while having the car on a stand and accelerating to 60mph. If I get oilpressure to the servo, the lid should press out against the stopping ring and I should feel that in the tool pressing the lid in.

Does this seem to be a good way to test this?

Is it possible that my VSS is sending the wrong info to the PCM? (my speedometer is working)

Any ideas on this matter is extremly appreciated!!

/Henrik

4th gear is OD in a 4 speed trans, 5th gear is OD in a 5 speed trans, plus both have a Lock up Converter.

Does that mean I have been running with 3rd gear and lockup, not 3rd gear and od?
(I might have misunderstood the mechanic a bit here, I have trouble following his technical lingo since my thumbs are centered in my hands....)

Still the question remains, any ideas about the 4th gear and how to get it running without pulling the tranny from the car again?

Thanks for trying to help me!

/Henrik

I am thinking about buying a new speed sensor and see if that helps.

Should I order a speed sensor for the 4R55E (old tranny that broke) or for the 5R55E (Wich is installed in my car now)

I am guessing for the 5R55E.. but I could be wrong.

/Henrik

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The reason the mechanic told you to feel to see if the front servo is applying is because that servo is the OD (4th gear) servo, it applies the OD (4th gear band). It is only used for OD (4thgear) in your application. If it doesn't apply then there is no OD (4th gear). Code 648 is no OD (4th gear). Adjust the front OD (4th gear) band, be sure not to back out the center adjustment screw, hold it and loosen the lock nut about 3 full turns, turn the adjustment screw in to 10 ft. lbs torque, then back out 2 turns, hold it from turning and tighten the lock nut. if you cant achieve the 10 ft lbs torque the band is broken.
Have no idea what speed sensor you are talking about, as the 4R55E had no speed sensor and the one that is on the 5R55E is not used for your application.

Back