Explorer 2004 4.0 XLT - Diagnostic Trouble Code E013 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 2004 4.0 XLT - Diagnostic Trouble Code E013

neilpridenz

Reaction score
City, State
Christchurch, NZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 4.0 XLT
Hi

I switched my 2004 XLT Explorer's instrument cluster into diagnostic mode to monitor my coolant temp on a long hill climb towing my boat.

Scrolling round the options, I spotted that the DTC section was showing an error E013 which remained after a stop/start cycle.

At home I plugged in my generic OBDII scanner and it did not show this code, not too surprising as I think the code is a specific Ford one and may not be picked up on a generic scanner.

Does anyone know what the E013 code means? There are no apparent performance or other obvious problems.

Help appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the link TechGuru, I had already discovered that page by googling.

Unfortunately it doesn't actually tell me what the code means, just recommends changing the battery which I'm reluctant to do as I already did this a few months ago. Does not rule out that I bought a bad battery of course.

What I'm really after is the meaning or translation of the code so I can start to work out what (if any) problem I have.

Appreciate your response though!

Just a follow up on this one, out of a lack of anything else to try, I swapped the Explorer battery with a known good one.

Initially no difference, but when I checked after a few days, the trouble code had indeed gone!

I am putting this down to some background checks that happen on the battery, maybe how quickly or not the battery charges up when running, how it discharges when at rest or something similar. In other words I think it was telling me the battery was about to fail.

After 3 weeks the E013 code has not returned. I am tempted to swap the old battery back in and see if the code returns. I have had the old battery on a smart charger and gone through several desulphation and reconditioning cycles so the test may not be that useful. I'll post again if I do.

Just a follow up on this one, out of a lack of anything else to try, I swapped the Explorer battery with a known good one.

Initially no difference, but when I checked after a few days, the trouble code had indeed gone!

I am putting this down to some background checks that happen on the battery, maybe how quickly or not the battery charges up when running, how it discharges when at rest or something similar. In other words I think it was telling me the battery was about to fail.

After 3 weeks the E013 code has not returned. I am tempted to swap the old battery back in and see if the code returns. I have had the old battery on a smart charger and gone through several desulphation and reconditioning cycles so the test may not be that useful. I'll post again if I do.
Batteries sometimes are prone to F. M. The second word is "magic". No amount of theorizing can explain the reality going on. Some take a stab at poor quality dielectric in one or two separators (between the lead plates), or some other impossible to define circumstance. The other "magical" encounter is rubber, which can do magical things by itself. imp

If it was a Wal Mart "Ever Start", it was junk from the factory. We are calling them "Never Start" these days.

No Wal Marts here in New Zealand - sounds like we are better off without them...

Motorcraft BXT65-850
bxt65850-fro.jpg

I Can't Find where I read it Again. Loss of Signal From Compass. Coald be it, my compass Not Working.
Hi

I switched my 2004 XLT Explorer's instrument cluster into diagnostic mode to monitor my coolant temp on a long hill climb towing my boat.

Scrolling round the options, I spotted that the DTC section was showing an error E013 which remained after a stop/start cycle.

At home I plugged in my generic OBDII scanner and it did not show this code, not too surprising as I think the code is a specific Ford one and may not be picked up on a generic scanner.

Does anyone know what the E013 code means? There are no apparent performance or other obvious problems.

Help appreciated!
I Can't Find where I read it Again. Loss of Signal From Compass. Could be it, my compass Not Working. 'CONTINUOUS DTC $E013'. 2010 Mountaineer

Back