• Register Today It's free!

Explorer "Black Box" ?

OKC_Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Yukon, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Limited 4WD
I'd like to know whether the EX keeps a historical record of parameters that are monitored and/or controlled electronically throughout the vehicle.

For example, Oil Pressure: As far as I can tell, there's no way for the driver to display the actual oil pressure value. But the EX does monitor OP, since it will warn the driver of low pressure. So - is there a way to access that data, and if so, would a technician be able to download the OP history?

What about other parameters - vehicle speed / steering angle / engine RPM / door lock state ... you get the idea. If its controlled or monitored then is there a place where we can access the data history? (Like a flight data recorder in an airplane)

Wishful thinking perhaps, but maybe its there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure a lot of that data, that you mention, is there and recorded. Very common now, and used by the manufacturer to validate or deny warranty claims.

Law enforcement agencies download similar data from from the airbag module.

Speed, RPM, gas/brake pedal input, steering angle, braking, and lots more.

Data captured is different between manufacturers.

Not sure about oil pressure, I'm sure if its in the VHR then its stored somewhere.

The oil pressure is not stored in memory anywhere. The only things stored in the RCM are steering, throttle and brake inputs as well as speed and engine RPM. Even then it's only stored for less than 30 seconds or so and is continuously overwritten. The only time the data will be stored is if an airbag inflates. Information can only be accessed by the automaker and only if the module is removed from the vehicle.

The oil pressure is not stored in memory anywhere. The only things stored in the RCM are steering, throttle and brake inputs as well as speed and engine RPM. Even then it's only stored for less than 30 seconds or so and is continuously overwritten. The only time the data will be stored is if an airbag inflates. Information can only be accessed by the automaker and only if the module is removed from the vehicle.

Automaker or Law Enforcement

I have watched it done before many times in a Police Garage.

We had to send away various foreign vehicle modules and interestingly enough it came back with no data. HMMMMMM!

I'd like to know whether the EX keeps a historical record of parameters that are monitored and/or controlled electronically throughout the vehicle.

For example, Oil Pressure: As far as I can tell, there's no way for the driver to display the actual oil pressure value. But the EX does monitor OP, since it will warn the driver of low pressure. So - is there a way to access that data, and if so, would a technician be able to download the OP history?

What about other parameters - vehicle speed / steering angle / engine RPM / door lock state ... you get the idea. If its controlled or monitored then is there a place where we can access the data history? (Like a flight data recorder in an airplane)

Wishful thinking perhaps, but maybe its there?

You can get an ODBII scanner to see current values.
You can get a bluetooth one to pair with your phone if you prefer.

You can get an ODBII scanner to see current values.
You can get a bluetooth one to pair with your phone if you prefer.

Cool!!! I'll have to see what's available.

Thanks all for your inputs - very interesting stuff!

For our deezle trucks, many of us used a scangauge with customizable parameters that you can program to display what you wanted to see... like iot, tp, temps, etc...

different values on different vehicles...
I bought 2 when I had multiple trucks and now I use neither...
once I proved that my tuning and my driving / towing never exceeded safe values I put them back in the box :).... www.scangauge.com

I have a downloaded Airbag Module report for my 2013 EX if you want to see it?

I image modules regularly for my job.

Just to slightly correct this, it records when the airbag module "wakes up." The module records and locks data in 'deployment' situations and records and doesn't lock 'non deployment' data.

And usually the airbag module data stores and overwrites every 150 milliseconds.

Back