Explorer drivers door keypad flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer drivers door keypad flashing

mustangmike 64

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 mustang gt 5speed
2017 ford explorer drivers door keypad flashing, causing battery drain.
we had a 2017 explorer that occasionally had a dead battery,and if not dead intermittent extended crank then the driver noted that when she would walk up to SUV the drivers door keypad was either on or flashing (all the #'s and the red l.e.d above the keypad) after spending many hrs. on diag. pulled drivers door panel off and disconnected the keypad, pulled trim panel off an found wires for keypad chaffed where they entered the door. replaced door trim w/keypad. no more flashing. 2 weeks later and no dead battery or extended crank when starting.
hope this might help, i didn't see any fixes for this issue
mike

2017 explorer.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum Mike, and thanks for the tip.

I set you up with a 3 month Elite Explorer membership for your contribution:chug:

Great post! So you fixed the wiring and the keypad is working again? Mine was doing this and now is completely dead. Appears to be a bit of work to get to this so I've started to live without the use of the keypad. It sure is nice to have.

I see this is old but we had same problem killed battery took ford 3 weeks to get in for diagnosis. We are told there is a plastic clip inside that breaks causing the computer to draw energy. Of course this happens after warranty ends just to be clear I have 37k miles and it happened so it's not covered. It cost 791.00 to repair with no guarantee it won't break again because it's plastic. Called Ford corporate but again no help there since its not under warranty and has no recall despite thebtech at service saying they see this a lot!!!. Great customer service Ford!!!

Welcome to the Forum Explorermom2018. :wave:
Did they say if that plastic clip was part of the keypads? I was just wondering because of the repair bill. 2011-2019 Ford Applique DB5Z-7820555-AC | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
The identical one from Ford, as always, is more expensive. https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/b...parts-general/moulding-door-outside-7829545-1 but there is no shipping cost involved.

Peter
I will ask im actually waiting for the repair to complete now

Back