Explorer engaging *hard* when downshifting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer engaging *hard* when downshifting

Hawk312

Reaction score
City, State
York, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
My 2011 Explorer is engaging hard when downshifting and then giving it gas. It is not consistent, but if I drive it for more than 5 miles it is almost guaranteed to happen. It only happens right after a downshift when I go to give it gas. It will hesitate for a second and then engage really hard and the car will jerk. Upshifts are always great. Downshifts when pulling up to stop are great as well. It is only when giving it gas just after a downshift.
Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I get a little harsh downshift if i stab the gas pedal. It jars the whole car. Don't do it often as it jars me as well...
Downshifting at 127k is ok, sometimes a bit lazy. This transmission is usually predictable though minus the ocassional jarring.

My 2011 will slam into gear at just the right speed, like coming to a traffic light that turns green, when you get on it again. Somewhere around 10-20mph, its been like that forever, and the conditions happen so infrequently I never have worried about it. Sounds like maybe yours is happening under more conditions. First thing to verify is transmission fluid level. It's a pain to check it, but it can be done. I believe there is a TSB on this slamming condition for software reprogramming and maybe it was even some valve changes. Can't recall. I believe it was specific to 2011 also. I think with the age, you would have to pay out of pocket. Maybe a transmission shop could do the work cheaper than the dealer. TSB below.

11-12-10 6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION - SLUGGISH ACCELERATION FROM 0-8 KM\H (0-5 MPH) FOLLOWED BY A HARSH BUMP OR A SLIP ON TAKE-OFF FOLLOWED BY A BUMP - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/15/2011
TSB 11-12-10
12/22/11
6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION - SLUGGISH
ACCELERATION FROM 0-8 KM\H (0-5 MPH)
FOLLOWED BY A HARSH BUMP OR A SLIP ON
TAKE-OFF FOLLOWED BY A BUMP - BUILT ON OR
BEFORE 4/15/2011

Thanks Keith. That definitely sounds like what is going on with it. I don`t have the MERCON® LV on the dipstick though, so I am not sure how that will work out. The fix only seems to apply to cars with that on the dipstick the way I read the TSB.
Thanks.

We purchased a brand new 2017 explorer sport in Nov 2017, it currently has 9k miles on it. Almost immediately we started experiencing problems.

We are experiencing hard down shifting when at lower speeds, which the dealer cannot replicate.

for the last couple of weeks I have been driving around in this 2016 ford explorer it has 150K miles but it has another issue besides the water pump and timing chain issue it also downshifts hard every now and then anyone else had this problem fom this car what could make it do this ?

for the last couple of weeks I have been driving around in this 2016 ford explorer it has 150K miles but it has another issue besides the water pump and timing chain issue it also downshifts hard every now and then anyone else had this problem fom this car what could make it do this ?

Have you ever changed the transmission fluid and filter? Although Ford says it is lifetime no fluid in any vehicle is lifetime unless its lifetime is way less than 100k miles. I always drop the pan, change the filter and refill every 40k-50k miles along with changing the transfer case fluid. If you have never changed the transmission fluid and filter then you should do it now as this might resolve your problems. You should change all the fluids at this point if they have not been changed before now. Many people just ignore this maintenance and then expect their vehicle to just run forever. IMO, if a manufacturer says a fluid is lifetime then they should put a number on how many miles a lifetime is comprised of. This should be a liability issue for them.

Also, if you are losing coolant then stop driving it until you know where the leak is occurring. If the water pump goes you will very likely destroy the engine and then you are looking at a $6k-$8k repair bill. If the pump is going then it will be a $1,500-$2,000 repair bill. With the miles on the vehicle, you should put new timing gear and guides in when the pump is replaced since this will only cost you the parts and no additional labor. At 150k miles this is more than warranted.

Have the dealer flash the newest TCM programming in. My 16 did the same, updated and it is good now.

Have you ever changed the transmission fluid and filter? Although Ford says it is lifetime no fluid in any vehicle is lifetime unless its lifetime is way less than 100k miles. I always drop the pan, change the filter and refill every 40k-50k miles along with changing the transfer case fluid. If you have never changed the transmission fluid and filter then you should do it now as this might resolve your problems. You should change all the fluids at this point if they have not been changed before now. Many people just ignore this maintenance and then expect their vehicle to just run forever. IMO, if a manufacturer says a fluid is lifetime then they should put a number on how many miles a lifetime is comprised of. This should be a liability issue for them.

Also, if you are losing coolant then stop driving it until you know where the leak is occurring. If the water pump goes you will very likely destroy the engine and then you are looking at a $6k-$8k repair bill. If the pump is going then it will be a $1,500-$2,000 repair bill. With the miles on the vehicle, you should put new timing gear and guides in when the pump is replaced since this will only cost you the parts and no additional labor. At 150k miles this is more than warranted.
I have replaced the water pump and timing chai and I don't have that issue any more thanks for your advice I will change the oils in trans and tr case . thank you for your advice .

I have replaced the water pump and timing chai and I don't have that issue any more thanks for your advice I will change the oils in trans and tr case . thank you for your advice .
The good thing about the 3.5L V6 is that overall it is a very reliable engine outside if the water pump issue. Having done the water pump, you should get quite a few more reliable miles out of the engine with diligent maintenance.

Back