Explorer Front Seat Adjustable Headrest | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Front Seat Adjustable Headrest

RossRagan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT 4WD
I'm the proud new owner of a 2011 Explorer XLT and just completed a four day road trip from Minneapolis to St. Louis to Dallas and back to Minneapolis. The Explorer performed wonderfully, except my wife complained most of the way about how uncomfortable she found the front seat headrest to be. I understand that there is an adjustable headrest with tilt options available for Explorers and was wondering if anyone can tell me if the adjustable headrest is available from Ford as an "after purchase" replacement part.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...and "new wife" is not an option....

I'm the proud new owner of a 2011 Explorer XLT and just completed a four day road trip from Minneapolis to St. Louis to Dallas and back to Minneapolis. The Explorer performed wonderfully, except my wife complained most of the way about how uncomfortable she found the front seat headrest to be. I understand that there is an adjustable headrest with tilt options available for Explorers and was wondering if anyone can tell me if the adjustable headrest is available from Ford as an "after purchase" replacement part.
The headrest on my Limited is adjustable up/down and also tilts to some degree. Have you tried that on yours? I would assume that they are all the same.

Peter

Don't know about the swivel headrest, but I used to drive Flexes daily and they had the same issue - what I did was turn the headrest around so it wasn't buggering my posture.

NOTE: if you turn them around, you're pretty much eliminating the rear-impact whiplash protection. What I described is what I did, and I took the risk myself. What you decide to do to your vehicle is up to you, so I won't be responsible for anything.

Hope you find them! If you do, please put up a link - I'm sure there are a lot of people who would be thrilled with that product.

my '13 Limited with the Luxury Perforated heated/cooled seating had headrests that lift and sort of ratchet forward. here's a little video of them.

Sorry, not sure of a part number.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxDwUvW1XXg&feature=youtu.be
That is the same as my 2011. I'm sure that they are all the same. Thanks for that video. I checked fordparts.com and there are 103 pages for 'seats'. It starts off with the 2nd and 3rd row seats and I gave up trying to page through the rest but it looks like the part number is the same for all the headrests, 501A04.

Peter

Tilting headrest

My owners manual mentions the tilting headrest but has the caveat "if equipped". The front headrests in my Explorer are considerably larger than the ratcheting headrest shown in the posted u-Tube video and do not ratchet. I'll check at my local dealer the next time I go in for service to see if they can offer a replacement headrest. Thanks for your responses.

Welcome to the forum Ross !

always glad to have another Ex fanatic... maybe the adjustable is not on anything but the xlt up ?

dealer is a source, but maybe your local 'junk' yard has a locator service where they can find one...

And Bryce - good video - explaining that in words would require ratcheting :) up the vocabulary !

Tilting headrest

It was apparently an option for the XLT in 2011, since my Ex is an XLT and came without. I will contact a local salvage yard also as JB2 recommended.

It was apparently an option for the XLT in 2011, since my Ex is an XLT and came without. I will contact a local salvage yard also as JB2 recommended.
I have the 2011 Ford Explorer brochure and no where does it show it as an option for the XLT.
In addition to the standard Explorer features, under the XLT Model it states, under Seating, " Heated front buckets with 2-way adjustable head restraints......."

Peter

Final Authority- Tilting Head Restraint

According to the owners manual available online at - - - - http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOBEXP/~MUS~LEN/41/11expog3e.pdf
- - - -
Pages 159 and 160 talk about the standard headrest with verticle adjustment. Page 161 talks about a "Tilting head restraint (if equipped)". Based on this authority (and my own Ex XLT), I would argue strongly that the tilting headrest was definitely an option and not standard equipment.

I checked several local salvage yard web search utilities and was unsuccessful in finding any '11 - '13 headrest availability. I plan to stop at my local dealer this evening and inquire there.

Well, being in the system development field for a very long time, I can vouch for the correctness of documentation ! (NOT :) )

good luck on your quest !

According to the owners manual available online at - - - - http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOBEXP/~MUS~LEN/41/11expog3e.pdf
- - - -
Pages 159 and 160 talk about the standard headrest with verticle adjustment. Page 161 talks about a "Tilting head restraint (if equipped)". Based on this authority (and my own Ex XLT), I would argue strongly that the tilting headrest was definitely an option and not standard equipment.

I checked several local salvage yard web search utilities and was unsuccessful in finding any '11 - '13 headrest availability. I plan to stop at my local dealer this evening and inquire there.
You are correct Ross. My Owner's Guide states the same thing as does the 2013 Guide. However, I am unable to find where this is listed as an option anywhere. Perhaps it is part of the Comfort Package or Luxury Seating Package. That is one of a few things that I dislike about the Owner's Guide. Instead of using just the "if equipped" comment, why not show the equipment package that has it. Better yet, why not put in an extra page or two detailing what the various equipment packages include.
Good luck on your "quest" as JohnBoyToo so eloquently put it.:thumbsup:

Peter

Problem solved

Solved the headrest discomfort issue. Traded the 2011 Ex XLT in for a 2013 Ex XLT which has the ratcheting headrest along with some other creature comforts like the MyTouch Ford Sync system, dual front climate zones, self dimming rear view mirror. I think the tilting headrest was indeed a part of one of the package upgrades available for the XLT in 2011.

Thanks everyone for your comments and contributions.

Well, I guess that is one way to solve the problem, lol.

Enjoy your new ride!

Good news, the tilting headrests are about the only thing that has not caused a problem on our 13 XLT...good luck, best regards Plum

Good news, the tilting headrests are about the only thing that has not caused a problem on our 13 XLT...good luck, best regards Plum
........yet. It's still early ;)

Peter

yes, we have tilting headrests in our '11 xlt. It was part of a "premium package" which included the MFT & leather seating, among other features.

Back