• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Ltd air shocks

PDXDan

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Limited
I have a 96 Limited which has a factory air shock. The system is leaking and requires the replacement of all 4 shocks @ $250 ea. + install. I have searched for gas shock replacments but have been told that the airshocks maintain a cretain ride height and can't be replaed with anything other than the required replacement shocks. Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try www.rockauto.com 1-866-762-5288
322 40006
322 40007

These Monroe shocks worked for the rear of my 99 air ride.They are the same numbers that come up for a 96.

I have a '97 Eddie Bauer with the ARC system and I've had them replaced at the dealer twice now. This time around I'm looking into the Monroe 40006 and 40007 as replacements for my rear shocks. When you replaced yours on your '99, did you need to buy any hardware, bushings, etc or did that all come with the Monroes?

I think that the Monroe's are probably the same shock as from Ford. None any longer come with the firmness adjustment. That function is lost when the ARC shocks are replaced.

What seems odd though is that the 99-01 ARC was a two shock system. Those cost $90 each at Ford, they should be the same as the 95-98 rear shocks, which Ford wants $209 each to me.

Do some research on the aftermarket replacements, between the 98 and 99 rear shocks. If you contact Monroe directly, see if you can contact someone about rebuilding the original shocks. Good luck,

The ARC rear shocks on my 1997 Eddie Bauer are starting to rust out. Do the Monroe 40006 and 40007 shocks plug into the ARC system or is the usablility of the ARC now completely eliminated? I saw a photo of the shocks and it appears there is a similar air hose fitting as the OEM unit or is it a manual adjustment dial? I don't want to lose the ARC, but I hate the thought of paying $250+/ea. for OE replacements.

From what I have gathered from this site Ford no longer makes the arc shocks with electronic dampening. The only difference between the monroe shocks and the shocks in your truck are that monroes do not have the wires coming out of the top. The replacement monroe shock has the air bag and hydraulic shock. They will auto adjust to level your ride and when you turn your 4x4 on or off. Just replaced my rears with monroes from rockauto.com
they work fine

Yes, the electrical shock valving is lost with new shocks. Do check into the cost of 99-01 models though. I think that they should be identical, and I gave about $92 for each of mine. Good luck,

I called all over the US last year looking for a set of original air shocks. I found a dealer in Texas that assured me they had a complete set. What they sent was Monroe shocks in Ford boxes. At almost twice the price for the same shocks, I had them picked up and a full credit on my Visa.

I did install a set of the after market Monroe's and they work great. My ride is a bit stiffer than I like but the air height changes as advertised.

i just used plain ordinary gas shocks from a non arc explorer

and it was a stupid idea. i snapped the two of them off yesterday for some reason going over a crack in the road

I have a 97 Limited Explorer with the message center.. I am going to replace the shocks with the Monroe's.. will this cause the message center to display the CHECK AIR RIDE error since the new shocks will not have the electrical connections? I'm hoping not but if it does is there a way to stop it?

Thanks

mathinckley, no the Monroes will not cause the check air ride message.

Thanks studd469.. I'm goin out this weekend to buy some

matthinckley, when you buy them give them a shake and tell me if you hear fluid sloshing around inside. Apparently this is normal? Rock auto sent me 2 sets (great service BTW) cuz the first set had fluid sloshing around. but the second ones did the same thing. A member on this forum later told me that it was normal. I installed them and they seem to be ok.

Back