Explorer mod dirrection change.

zerodevil

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 White Limited V8
Well after finaly getting my T/a to alaska ive decided it feels much safer at speeds over 100 mph, and would much rather turn my explorer into somthing with a bit more all terrain ability. Whats the best way to go about getting 4-6 inches of relyable lift, and how do you guys feel about dura-track tires? I will be ordering a front and rear brushgaurd on thursday once my check clears. Pics soon to follow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

YES !!!!! THIS IS GONNA JUST SCREAM EXCELLENCE !!!!! :D

Jared im so glad your not lowering it anymore !

my guess would be the Body Lift, and spacers from BTF...

What size tires are you looking at doing? Personally I would not do the body lift, only after having one for almost a year on mine along with the suspension lift just to clear 33's. If I could go back, I would have foregone the body lift, and just done the necessary trimming in the fender wells to clear the 33's and just have the suspension lift.

lol thanks for the responses! I'd like to run 31's or 33's if I can get them to not rub the wheel wells. Hoping for more than 10 wide as well. How do you guys feel about steelcraft brush guards. Looking at 600 + bucks to get one to alaska... Want to get a good one ya know? I'll look into the spacers next few months.

32's will go at stock height with no issues. ;)

As for the rest of it, I look forward to seeing the progress. If you do go with spacers, I highly recommend getting new upper control arms as well. When I had my spacers in my upper arms/ball joints were none too happy with the situation.

Good luck with your redirection, I'm sure you'll do an awesome job. :thumbsup:

YOU SOB!!!!!!!! HOW CAN YOU FLIPPING CHANGE ON ME!!!!!!!! AGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

All ranting aside, I'd do a 3" body lift and some 265's.

:(

by new control arms do you mean longer ones? I'm thinking prefab is a no go? How long do I need them? Hey limited. This should effectivly make you the fastest n.a. 3rd gen! And I'll always be a true speed demon at heart. I'm thinking about a 2011 explorer if they put the new 5.0..

Hard to say I'm the fastest since a few members have more mods than I do. Plus mine is running funny lately, may explain why I couldn't do a burnout. When at speed, she's missing out at light throttle. Cleaned the MAF sensor today and checked all connections, I think the Lucas fuel injection cleaner I put in a few weeks ago may have clogged the fuel filter? So it's time to start the tuneup process and hope it's a simple problem that'll get fixed as I go.

Looking forward to your updated pics and good luck!

You don't need new control arms if you stay under 2.25" of front lift, some here run 2.5" but that's pushing it. I've been running my 2.25" spacers in the front for almost a year now on the stock arms, and they have plenty of room to flex. The old school way of thinking on the extended control arms, was when people were running 3" spacers.

It's worth mentioning, that there's not even any options out there for extended arms anymore anyway, so it's not really an option worth considering, unless you want to buy the only existing set in the world from macknos94 on here...lol

2.25 inch spacers come out to be more like 4 inches of lift anyways right? i just want to get high enough to let my tires clear, most of the lift will come from them anyways. 2.25 + 1.75 rear is the standard way of thinking now days right? im due to replace my arms and wheel bearings anyways here, so i think the lift and tires are 6 or so months away anyways. but seeing as how i put a new engine in last year, i have no intention of getting rid of this rig any time soon.

again, anyone have anything bad to say about dura track tires? looking at a 265-75-R16. think that should bolt right up to the stock rim? and should i go any bigger? How about brush guard reccomendations, is there an actual quality difference between one piece solid welds and bolt togeathers? whats a good brand? ive been looking at Steelcraft, but to get one to alaska im looking at 600+ after shipping, so id like to get it right the first time. the rear bump gaurd is coming this thursday.

I would say that a solid weld will be much stronger than a bolt together one. I've walked past those with bolt togethers and they seemed flimsy, more of an appearance thing than protection. If you have a welder and can do a little fabbing, I have a brush guard that goes to a 1st gen Nissan Xterra that I'd sell you to cheap. It's a one piece grill guard made by WAGG.

As far as the Goodyear DuraTrac Tires, they seems pretty ideal for winter/mud type traction.

Again, I'd just do a 3" body lift and the 265's and you'll be set. Here's a picture of MillerTimeX17 with mentioned lift and tires.

PA130016.jpg

hunter grills are crap caldwell!! Don't do it. So solid weld it is. I'll know tomorrow if I'm getting this one grill. The rear is coming thursday. Gunna buy my mud tires 2 at a time over the next month.

Zerodevil-

I'd recommend that you mount all 4 tires at the same time. As finicky as our auto 4wd can be, if you run A/T and M/T's at the same time your truck may lurch and jerk all over the place.

oh god no, you missunderstand, i said buying, not installing lol. different tire sizes + 4X4 = bad idea. Still didnt hear back from the guy for a shipping quote to alaska for my grill gaurd.

i got a westin brushguard like that but much stronger for sale

You guys do remember what's his name fit 285s with a bl and very minor trimming on his mountaineer so I say with rims that would keep the track width the same as factory after you lift it you should be golden! The 2.25/ inch spacers gave right about 3.5 inches of lift If I remember right. Only issue is when you install the spacers it makes the track width smaller.

what kind of offset did you go with? I may go with just the body lift, or a combo of the body lift + Small spacers. Im not liking the idea of stressing the suspension parts more than i have too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back