Explorer sport 2wd with 5 speed question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer sport 2wd with 5 speed question

Milwaukee

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XLT 4 door 4w
I sold 94 explorer because bad head gasket.

After 1 year without explorer I realized I miss my explorer so much. It was so comfy for long highway trips than 2000 F350 4wd diesel. It too expensive to drive truck for work trips. Already rack up 2K miles in 2 weeks. Cost $380 in diesel.

I saw 99 explorer sport 2wd with 5 speed. 140K miles for $2K it was pretty nice.

My question is 4.0L OHV or 4.0L SOHC in 1999 are reliable or not? I just want good engine that will last me to 250-300K miles without timing chains or head gaskets issues.

What mileage do you average with 5 speed? I talk some people they claim 12 mpg and some claim 24 mpg. For record I pull 24 mpg ONCE out 94 explorer so I can image 20-23 possible.

How it handle in snow? I know mine with highway tires. I would say little ok but slipping when touch gas pedal.

Sorry for my bad grammar

Dan

If your looking for dependability go with the push rod 4.0l, if you want more performance the SOHC is the way to go but at some point short of 300,000 miles it will need timing chains. I prefer a 5 speed behind these which you can only get (from the factory) with a push rod 4.0l. My toy explorer is 2wd and has an SOHC I put a 5 speed behind, but my back up truck/ winter beater is a 95 Ranger 4x4 with a push rod 4.0l and a 5 speed. I find I get about about the same mileage in my Powerstroke dually as I do in my ranger which averages 19mpg. Again my powerstroke has a 5 speed conversion so no auto there either.

If you want dependability get the 4.0 OHV. IMO, the power advantage of the SOHC just isn't worth the mechanical problems.

My 2000 Sport in my sig has averaged 20.7 MPG over the past 80,000 miles. Yeah, that's a lot of receipts. Mixed city and highway. My 98 4-door averaged about 18 MPG overall.

The 2WD is not good in the snow. It's very easy to lose traction and spin.

If you want dependability get the 4.0 OHV. IMO, the power advantage of the SOHC just isn't worth the mechanical problems.

My 2000 Sport in my sig has averaged 20.7 MPG over the past 80,000 miles. Yeah, that's a lot of receipts. Mixed city and highway. My 98 4-door averaged about 18 MPG overall.

The 2WD is not good in the snow. It's very easy to lose traction and spin.

I agree with most of this. I did run my 2wd SOHC explorer in the snow a bit this past winter and it went surprisingly well with 18x10 cobra wheels on it. I had some issue getting traction to accelerate in some spots but once it was moving it was extremely predictable. Would it slide if I wasn't paying attention? absolutely but it was expected any time it did and very easy to regain control by simply powering into it. Mine does have a posi rear which helps a lot. If you had a good set of snow tires and a posi you shouldn't have any issue with it in the snow as long as your not doing mountain rd's in a blizzard. Even with the Low profile 10" wide 18's I never got my truck stuck and I had it out several times in 6+ inches of snow this winter

Back