Explorer Sport interior project... some advice needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport interior project... some advice needed

mr.p

Reaction score
City, State
Berkeley, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 explorer
hey everyone got an 02 sport im working on the interior, i put a crappy polished aluminum overlay on it and it just wasnt worth it and looks like crap...so my center console lid was torn, i decided to reupholster it...price of this mod was free! my uncle had a roll of heavy grain gray leather, there is enough to do some additional parts inside so im doing the strips at the top of the doors (see image) if anyone knows of a company that makes overlays that you can glue on or something that is FLUSH with the surface im all for it, im going to go for brushed alluminum not polished. preferrably real alluminum would be nice also, sport trac will fit my sport also. Im attaching the pic of thelid i finished came out nice for never doing anything like this BE CAREFUL most likely your plastic will be broken and breaks easily, i could tell mines been replaced previously. i also have another picture of the door panel and of the strip i plan on replacing. im also going to reupholster the seats with the same tan/gray leather combination. point out anything that oculd be helpful the headliner looks like a PITA!!! If anyone has a grey leather sport or sport trac their parting out let me know!
DSCF0035.JPG

DSCF0036.JPG

also has anyone looked into replacing their steering wheel with a mustang one like the fr500 or something of that sort im looking for a silver/gray one that will retain my cruise control...does the f150 steering column gauge pod fit my sport? if so i think i might get one..tomorrow i do the upper strips on the door.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i cant post anymore pictures :S

keep up the good work

more pictures

i did the strips on the top of the door, if anyone has the rubber armrest piece by the handle to pull the door shut in gray or is parting out a grey ex let me know, 2nd gen should have what im looking for :)

its a huge picture i know but itll be the last in here for awhile until i either

shell out the dough for katzkins or find some more grey pieces.

DSCF0041.JPG

looks good so far

does the f150 steering column gauge pod fit my sport? if so i think i might get one..tomorrow i do the upper strips on the door.

Exploder7.jpg

Heres the F150 pod in my 01 expo sport. Hope it helps.

That wheel cover is turrible... You can get one that looks just like the factory cover in another color if you choose It ties on right over the existing wheel.

That wheel cover is turrible... You can get one that looks just like the factory cover in another color if you choose It ties on right over the existing wheel.
Where? My son ('93 sport) needs a black one badly.

Where? My son ('93 sport) needs a black one badly.
Autozone sells the lace up covers, go to www.autozone.com and search for part # 50610 it's made by Axius

doesn't show an illustration however, but you can use that info to purchase one, they sell for around $10

Back