Black interior project

Charlie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
Well, my interior is that gray color that we all know and love. I've always thought it would look better with more black...so, I will be working tomorrow (well, today) on it making my interior more like I have always wanted it. My plans are....
Make cupholder black
Black headliner
Passenger air vent will become black
and painting bezel/gauge cluster bezel so that it matches with the same black as vents/cupholder.

Lets see how it goes, hopefully I will have pics of the progress tomorrow sometime! Biggest part of the project will obviously be the headliner.

I'm not making it totally black, just giving it some black accents. Hopefully I can get black seats eventually, too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when you get it done, post some picture. now i want to do a all black interior on my 98 sport. it would match my 81 black magic capri

Actually, I put a black carpet in my '88 Mustang and it really set off the gray interior, and the factory black pieces- just a thought...

It worked well, but there was a little more black in the Mustang, but if you're painting, I think the Ex would look good!

Sorry, but this is the only pic I had at work showing something...

Picture002.jpg

Well, I got a late start today, so I don't think I will be able to do the headliner until tomorrow. I have started doing the cupholder, vents, and defrost vents. After that, comes the gauge cluster bezel and radio bezel. I haven't decided yet weather I am going to do the whole center console black, or just the cupholder part. I will be doing the armrest black fabric, though.

Crappy cell pics of things drying...
pvent.jpg

mirror.jpg

dvent.jpg

ooh spray painting inside ur car sounds like lots of fun...i would end up getting that paint all over the place

Interesting project. Curious to see the final product. Should look cool. The black carpet idea kind of intrigues me.

I'm planning on doing the same thing with my mounty. cant wait to see it when its done. Then maybe I'll consider it.

Interesting project. Curious to see the final product. Should look cool. The black carpet idea kind of intrigues me.

For now carpet is staying the same, its the headliner that is becoming black.

So far, got the vents taken care of, now doing the center console. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the headliner finished. I will update with pictures later when more gets done.

For now carpet is staying the same, its the headliner that is becoming black.

So far, got the vents taken care of, now doing the center console. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the headliner finished. I will update with pictures later when more gets done.

will get off the computer, and start inhaling paint fumes! :D

Charlie- is it going to be glossy like that? My buddy did that in his car, and damned if those things didn't catch every ray of sun right into your eyes... He later re-sprayed in semi-gloss

Charlie- is it going to be glossy like that? My buddy did that in his car, and damned if those things didn't catch every ray of sun right into your eyes... He later re-sprayed in semi-gloss

It is supposed to be semi gloss :shifty_ey

I think it will dull down when dry.

Well, I think I am done for the night. I ended up doing the vents, bezels, whole center console, and defrost vents. Tomorrow hopefully I can hit the headliner, and get started earlier:rolleyes:
IMGP3331.jpg

IMGP3330.jpg

IMGP3329.jpg

IMGP3332.jpg

Wait...whats this? Oh **** handles on the A-Pillar!:D
IMGP3333.jpg

IMGP3334.jpg

Never use the ones in back anyway, so I just pulled those up front:D:thumbsup:

I believe I will also be doing the door panels like this:
IMGP3329copy.jpg

Man Charlie- I've not been a fan of painted vents, but I think that you did a really nice job! I think with the console the way it is- with black carpet, it would look sweet and awfully custom, with or without black headliner. Maybe photoshop it with black carpet, and black carpeting on the door bottoms...

I had a buddy that used the flexible paint on the armrest portion you're talking about on the doors, and there is so much contact, it seemed to chip off...

Photoshop this pic- just curious how it would look with black carpet, carpet on the doors, and maybe black speaker grilles, but the grilles may be too much...

IMGP3329.jpg

2copy-1.jpg

Something seems a little too black on the doors. Maybe it is just the patches. I think for the floor I am just going to put some black rubber floor mats in. Maybe I won't do the doors, because that flexible paint stuff was what I was planning on using.

What it will hopefully be like by the end of tomorrow:
blkheadlinercopy.jpg

i like it so far

i think the carpet and headliner both are gonna be too much black. but the headliner alone should set it off REALLY well.

Yeah, one or the other. I guess it's cheaper to paint the headliner than buy new black carpet. I like the doors, but I'd recarpet the bottoms rather than paint the tops, I'd be worried about rubbing off the paint from the flexing vinyl, but I've not used the flexible paint be-4. Looking good though!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess it's cheaper to paint the headliner

I'm actually not painting the headliner, I'm putting new fabric over it, like what whitelimited did with his blue headliner.

I've also had some other things come up today, so it looks like I won't be able to do this until tomorrow:rolleyes:

Back