Explorer Turn Signal Problem - PLEASE HELP. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Turn Signal Problem - PLEASE HELP.

djjetset

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer
Hi, Everyone
This is my first post and I thought this would be the best place to turn to for answers to my Explorer question that I just cant figure out.
Ok here goes - I have 97 Eddie Bauer and the turn signals stopped working. One night they were working fine. I was using my hazards as I was backing my trailer into my driveway, and then the next day -nothing. The parking lights still work. I checked all my bulbs and they were fine. I checked all fuses in the fuse box and they were fine. I did notice that the turn signal flasher relay under the dash, was not making that "click-click" sound so I changed that out, but still nothing! I'm stumped friends and I could really use some help. Its very cold here in NY and its such a pain to keep lowering my window to use hand signals in order to let other drivers know that Im making a turn...lol. This is what I've been having to do! LoL.
Also, a side note I found out that a brand new signal flasher relay for my model Explorer has one less prong than the original did that Ford made for the truck in 97. The parts guy at the dealer assured me that Ford purposely eliminated this extra prong and that the new realy should work, but no luck.
I'd appreciate any help from anyone out there. Please be my saviors. Also if anybody out there lives in Suffolk County, NY - please give me a shout.
Thanks Very Much,
-Stevie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site. Do the hazards still work? My first guess would be that maybe your multifunction switch(the whole turn signal stock is connected to some other stuff and warrants the fancy name) might have come unplugged in the steering column. If you remove the plastic cover around the column you could the connector. The multifunction switches commonly fail and are about $50-60 here. Usually they are problematic prior to going in my experience. It's also common for them to get unplugged when the steering wheel is put in the lowest position. I zip tied mine connector together to stop this from happening.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time a Ford parts guy was wrong :)

The problem is that they will not take back any electrical items (even if they are wrong). I stopped buying parts at the dealer years ago. They ordered the wrong parts, then told me that there is no refund on special orders.

It could be the hazard relay, or hazard switch especially as you say you were using them last thing before it stopped working.

Th hazard switch / relay disaables the turn signal circuitry. Try fiddling the hazard switch with the turn signal in the on position (L or R) and watch for just one telltale light on the dash.

My old explorer had a habit of cancelling the turn signals after I had used it, had to give it a few quick presses to persuade it to return to its normal (off) position.

OK, take it from the top...

First, the parts guy is an idiot. Your vehicle MUST have five contacts on the turn/hazard flasher. If it only has four, it's not possible for it to work properly. Your truck has five connections on it. I'd start by getting the correct part, then insist that the dealership take back the incorrect part they sold you. It was their error, not yours.

Second, both the turn signals and the hazard lights use the SAME flasher unit. Your old one may be just fine, seeing as it was working the last time you tried it. Try putting it back in and see what it does.

Now, when you hit the signal stalk or the hazards, do the lights come on at all, or do you get absolutely nothing? That makes a difference in the troubleshooting....

If they come on, but don't flash, then we know we have power to and thru the MFS. The problem is the flasher.

If they don't come on at all, check for power at two of the five terminals in the block where the turn signal flasher plugs in. Two will have power with the key in run, two go to the multifunction switch, and one is a ground. If you have power there, then we know it's not a fuse issue. If you have a known-good flasher (with all five pins), then we need to look at the multifunction switch. It's not uncommon for the seldom-used hazard switch to stick or fail to switch back after using it... I might even try just wiggling the switch or turning the flashers on and off a few times to see if it makes contact again...

Here's another question: Do the brake lights work? What if you hit the brakes with the hazard switch on?

Let us know what you find...

-Joe

Is this not correct ? I haven't run out to look at mine yet

Both the turn signal flasher and the hazard warning flasher are mounted on the fuse panel on the truck. To gain access to the fuse panel, remove the cover from the lower edge of the instrument panel below the steering column. First remove the two fasteners from the lower edge of the cover. Then pull the cover downward until the spring clips disengage from the instrument panel.

The turn signal flasher unit is mounted on the front of the fuse panel, and the hazard warning flasher is mounted on the rear of the fuse panel.

Is this not correct ? I haven't run out to look at mine yet

Both the turn signal flasher and the hazard warning flasher are mounted on the fuse panel on the truck. To gain access to the fuse panel, remove the cover from the lower edge of the instrument panel below the steering column. First remove the two fasteners from the lower edge of the cover. Then pull the cover downward until the spring clips disengage from the instrument panel.

The turn signal flasher unit is mounted on the front of the fuse panel, and the hazard warning flasher is mounted on the rear of the fuse panel.

On a 97 or a 2000, it's up under the dash, right near the brake pedal position switch. The description for the '07 says, "In Steering Column" but I don't believe that's quite accurate... Either way, it's nowhere near the fuse panel.

Got the same problem

Hey guys, I seem to have the same problem on my truck since today... I lowered the steering column today (for my mother who needed to use the truck, as hers had a flat) and the turn signals + hazards stopped working altogether. No flashing, no light, nothing... The bulbs still work ok and the 15 amp fuse in the fuse box seems to be fine. Turn signals and hazards worked fine so far and never gave me any problems.

Where exactly do I have to look for the connector that might have come disconnected? I've read the previous post about the steering column, but then someone mentioned it being near the brake peddle..? It's really cold out there today and getting dark early, so I can't play the guessing game for too long without catching one of those bad colds, lol...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance... :)

By the way, this is the multifunction switch we're talking about, right? Thanks...

Attachments

• Multifunction Switch.jpg
    Multifunction Switch.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 21,497

Yes, thats the multifunction switch, and the connector you are looking for plugs into that, and is under the plastic steering column cover on the top.

Yes, thats the multifunction switch, and the connector you are looking for plugs into that, and is under the plastic steering column cover on the top.

Thanks! Upon conducting another inspection, I decided to put the steering wheel back in it's original/my driving position (pretty much all the way up)... and what do you know... the freakin turn signals/hazards are working once again, as if nothing ever happened. The plug must've slipped back in its' place. :eek:

Anyway, I don't like to rely on something that works only "part-time", so I'll be removing the cover soon and strapping everything in there with zip ties to prevent another incident. Funny how car manufacturers will put these ridiculous anti-disconnect safeties on all kinds of stuff that never physically moves (such as my Explorer's PITA DRL module was - took an hour to get it off!), yet they don't properly secure this one that, after all, is very likely to come loose.

And then they wonder why they need a bail-out, lol...

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated. Peace! :salute:

I just got done (today!) trouble shooting the exact same problem. My turn signals stopped working, and my panel illumination lights would not come on. Both of these failures occured at the same time.
To make a long storie short, it was the GROUND wire (black) that was the cause of the problem. I'll bet moving the steering wheel may have crimped or broken your ground wire to the flashing relay.

I'd bet on an unplugging connector since they came back on. This coming unplugged isn't uncommon.

Well, we'll see... so far, it's working ok. I really don't move my steering wheel up and down so much, since I'm 99.9% of the time the only driver. Anyway, it does not move often enough to fatigue & break off any wires - but if so, then Ford has a serious quality-control problem with its' wires, lol! :D

I'll be taking it apart this coming week when time allows and will report back in this thread. Heck, maybe I'll even try to post a pic of the assembly while it's apart... if I can to take one.

Hello,

I just want to say Thanks ahead of time for the posts and answers on this forum. I've been having a similar problem with my signal lights and I'll give the details below.

Problem: turn signal and rear brake lights do NOT work.
Details: Both my left and right tail lights do NOT signal. I get no indication of it either on the dash (and no sound, clicking noise). However, the hazard light does work and I hear the clicking sound from the turn signal/hazard flasher relay. My rear brake light on the left and right side does NOT turn on. However, the center rear brake light (near the top of the hutch), works fine.

Troubleshooting Steps
1. I have checked all fuses and they are in working condition.
2. I have replaced the turn signal/hazard flasher relay with a new one from Ford.
3. I have moved the steering wheel up and down and wiggled it all which way and nothing has changed.

Thus far, nothing has helped. Also, are the brakes related to the turn signal? Both these problems happened at the same time and I'm not sure if it's a coincidence.

Please let me know if anyone has any additional recommendations.

Thanks,

-Joey

Joey-
This is just a WAG... have you checked the ground wire? I'm not sure but I think there is a common ground wire (black) that goes from the brake switch to the turn signal flasher. Make sure you actually have a good ground. Just my best guess... good luck and keep at it... you will solve it!

Welcome to the forum Joey!

A few questions for you:
1. What year is your vehicle?
2. Do you have any other illumination problems such as the dash lights not coming on?
3. You explicitly stated that the tail lights do not come on at all, and that in addition they do not flash when the MFS is activated. Do the front parking lamps come on and do they flash when the MFS is activated?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum Joey!

A few questions for you:
1. What year is your vehicle?
2. Do you have any other illumination problems such as the dash lights not coming on?
3. You explicitly stated that the tail lights do not come on at all, and that in addition they do not flash when the MFS is activated. Do the front parking lamps come on and do they flash when the MFS is activated?

1. Ford Explorer 1998 v6, automatic
2. the dash lights come on. However the compass/thermomenter console is "off". I noticed this the exact same time that I noticed the left/right blinker wasn't working. I believe this is a separate issue though, but who knows.
3. When the the MFS is activated nothing turns on (NO left or right blinker in the front or rear).

However, when the hazard is turned on both the front/rear right/left blinkers flash. In this case, I believe the bulbs and wiring to the bulbs are working.

I will be taking apart the MFS tomorrow and see if there are any loose wiring. I'm curious if there is anything else that I should be paying attention to.

Additionally, I'm not sure how any of this has at all has to do with my brake lights not working?!?

In summary 3 things that went wrong this morning:
1. turn signals don't work (left or right)
2. brake light doesn't come on (right and left side). Center brake light works.
3. compass/thermometer (console on ceiling of suv) doesn't turn on (is dark)

Thanks for any assistance you might be able to offer. This is a very weird series of events/coincidences.

-Joey

Back