Turn signal problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turn signal problem

fearsnear

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountaineer
Hey guys so my turn signals doesn't work at all. I did some research and ended up changing the multi function arm and the turn signal relay. And it still doesn't work. I have a 99 mountaineer and i tried to look for a fuse that powers the turn signals but its not listed anywhere in my manual. I also went to autozone and they say it might be a bad ground? Please help me with this, i hate driving around without turn signals!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '98 did the same thing on me a few years back. It turned out to be the turn signal flasher unit. It's up underneath the steering collumn on mine. I believe it was yellow, but I could be wrong on that count.

I believe so... was a few years ago so I'm not 100% sure. Just remember they called it a flasher and not a relay so it just may be a differance in lingo.

Does your hazard lights work? The turn signals and hazard lights operate off the same flasher unit (as Creo wrote, in the steering column). No hazard AND no flasher, look at the flasher unit.

Also, fuse F22 goes to 12V in run and F21 goes to 12V at all times. If the hazard lights work, but not the turn signals, F22 is the culprit.

alright well my turn signals does not work and my hazard lights do work. I just changed the 22 and 21 fuses but i still have the problem.

So i changed the fuse 10 and everything started to work again, thank you everyone for the help.

Digging up an older thread here-this time for my kids 1998 Mountaineer.

My son Matt is in Rolla, Mo for school. His turn signals do not work, emergency flashers do work.

The fuse diagram in owners manual, nor this thread. ( I copied the info in the below thread directly from my 1998 owners manual. which is word for word with my 2000 owners manual concerning the interior fuse panel)

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180814&highlight=fuse+relay+distribution are correct. There is a mis print!!!

The above would direct you to fuse 23 --however slot #23 is unused. The above says 24 is unused, however it does indeed have a fuse there, with wiring.

None of the surrounding fuses are blown. However, fuse 10 (7.5a) is blown and repeatedly blows when replaced.

With fuse 10 blown -all associated fuse 10 circuits still operate. Shift out of park, brake lights, blower etc, all still work.

I believe the turn signal relay to be shorted. He is driving to autozone now for a replacement flaser relay. I will update with answers , hopefully not more questions.

If anyone has a "good" circuit diagram for this area I would sure appreciate it. The haynes diagram I have refers to even more fuses protecting the flash relay. To say I am confused is an understatement.

Thanks!

I dont have a diagram for you but i will share my experience, the one ( flasher relay) in my 98 xlt had started melting and im sure would have caused a fire, not sure what the cause was but it was a key on issue , I have had to change three of these in second Gen explorers, one was buzzing like when you hold the blinker arm in that bad spot too long, even after the multi function arm

Standby, let me copy and paste some wiring diagrams related to this issue

Diagrams will help me to get my head around how replacing the flasher relay would cause fuse 10 to not blow, bring back the turn signals when emergency flasher already worked, and, behold we now have rear window defrost too! ( thought it was broken)

hmmm---

So, yeah. The problem seems to be fixed :thumbsup:

Back