• Register Today It's free!

Explorer will not start

05explorerXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT
My wife drove the thing two days ago and it was fine. She tries to start it today and it will not fire up. Turn the key and it keeps cranking and cranking like normal but it will not turn over. I charged the battery for 8 hours and it still will not turn over. Battery light is on and the check engine light is also on. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so wait... it turns over and will not fire or just won't turn over? There is a difference. If you crank it and it will nto fire, charging the battery isn;t going to fix anything.

I suspect a crank sensor , or maybe your out of gas? LOL

Check for fuel and spark delivery.

Aloha, Mark

Sorry if I confused anyone. It cranks and cranks but will not fire up. I was thinking the same thing Mark. I figured since it still under the manufacturers 3years 36K mile warranty I will have Ford figure it out. If it was an easy fix I would just do it myself.

Put the gas pedal to the floor and she eventually started. Makes no sense.

Wow

Put the gas pedal to the floor and she eventually started. Makes no sense.
Hey mine does the same frigging thing every once in awhile if and when you find out what causes this let me know. every once in awhile I'll jump into mine and try to start it and it will crank and crank and crank and not fire BUT as soon as i put my foot on the gas and to the floor and crank she fires right up and smokes ( being flooded) then is fine

Mine is an 2003 XLT Sport with 70'000 Kilometers.

Dave

replace fuel filter, have injectors cleaned/replaced....

replace fuel filter, have injectors cleaned/replaced....

Yeah it sounds like it's not getting any gas or enough gas to start the engine. It also wouldn't hurt to check the spark plugs and see how clean they look.

Back