Explorer Woes- Breeched Radiator Kills Tranny | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Woes- Breeched Radiator Kills Tranny

rocketboy52

Reaction score
City, State
Tehachapi, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT 4x4
I recently was very excited about my purchase of a 1995 XLT 4 wheel drive Explorer. The truck was owned by a nice older couple and they had recently purchased a new explorer and sold this one off. About three months after I bought the truck, the transmission locked up, and it wouldn't shift out of first. The O/D light started flashing, so I had her towed in. The transmission fluid cooler in the radiator had an internal breech, and the tranmission had been flooded with radiator fuild and completely killed the transmission. The shop put in a new seprate transmission cooler in front of the radiator and rebuilt and reinstalled the transmission. After I got the Explorer back, I took the explorer back 3 times for transmission related issues, and the tranny still has speratic problems that are hard to prove to the repair personel. When I engage the transmission in Drive, about 25% of the time, the tranny won't engage. When I take it in, I of course can't duplicate it. The shop replaced the gear engament seluniods, but the issue still persists. I got a ATRA warrentee, and am so frustrated with this shop that I'm going to another shop. Anyone have any sugestions or similar problem? Thanks

Sounds like a possible DTR sensor problem....on first blush.

Back