Explorer won't start.

kaxfenix

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
I have a 98 ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC 2wd.

As the title says the explorer will not start it cranks but will not actually start.

It is getting fuel as it squirts out of the check valve when cranking over, as well as the inertia switch is engaged.

I believe this may be the ever so famous and lovely OEM Anti-theft system. Is there a process to over-ride this? These things have happened to me in th past and I have done a combination of using the key pad on the door and locking and unlocking the doors with the Keys, but never a process that ultimately works every time, its almost like it is chance.

Some info:

I only have one key.
I do not have a remote.
I always lock/unlock via the driver side controls inside (lock) and unlock it via placing the key into the key hole and "wiggle" it left and right (Unlock)

The Theft light in the dash blinks every 1 second when I place the key in the ignition and turn it to run before starting the engine it stays on for about 5-10 seconds and then shuts off..

Is it the Anti theft system? If so, is there a process to over ride what ever "issue" it has so I can start my car and be on my way..

Help before I :roll: the Explorer!!!1 :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fuel pump reset switch?

Have you pressed the fuel pump reset switch? You can find it up under the dash on the passenger side, near the center console.

Have you pressed the fuel pump reset switch? You can find it up under the dash on the passenger side, near the center console.

Yes I have always referred to that as the inertia switch... But yes I have.. Thanks for the quick reply :thumbsup:

If it's the anti-theft system, the Theft light would be on without the key being in the ignition. There are several electrical components that could cause a no-start condition as well as several mechanical problems. When was the last time you had your ex. running? Did you just go to start it one day and it wouldn't, or did this happen after some maintenance was done?

Less than 12 hours since I last used it.. Just went out and wont start.

well, next we need to see if you are getting a spark to the plugs. Although you have fuel at the Schraeder valve, you may not have enough pressure for the injectors to spray fuel into the engine.
To check if the plugs are firing, unplug a plug wire from the spark plug and lay the plug's threads to a bit of grounded bare chassis or body metal, have someone crank the engine and watch to see if it sparks.

Does the engine attempt to fire up or it just cranks and cranks?

You might try spraying some starter fluid in the intake, you can take the air filter out and spray it there while someone tries starting the engine. If it tries to fire up then, you most likely have a fuel delivery problem, maybe a weak fuel pump?

If you have fuel and spark, it has nothing to do with an alarm or PATS.

If the antitheft light goes out (after the key recognition period), then your antitheft is doing things right. Your spark test is probably not telling the whole story as it probably only indicates a "condition of spark"... not "spark at the right time". I would say that you most likely having a timing issue probably related either to the sensor (CPS) or the tensioner famous on those engines.

Back