Help! My 1998 Explorer won't start. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! My 1998 Explorer won't start.

sounds alot like another thread just above / below... :)

when you say "won't turn over", do you mean you get no starter action or no engine firing.... "won't turn over" usually refers to "no starter action" which people appear to be taking it as ... BUT a lot of people also seem to use this term for "no engine firing". Which is it????

Next, when you turn your key to "run"... DO NOT start it... does your theft lit go out????

IF not, then you may have a "antitheft issue". IF it does, then depending on your answer the earlier question about "doesn't turn over", there are more tests / observations that can be done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a "THEFT" light that blinks on the instrument panel?

If it blinks really fast when you're trying to start, it means something is wrong with the PATS system (the factory-installed anti-theft system). Seems to me, if it works some of the time, it could be a loose or damaged wire.

wont start

hey guys been reading this tread for a while now . just registered. i have a simular problem although i dont think it involves the anti theft. i can jump the car, take the cables off as soon as i turn it off it wont start itself. jump it again an it will repeat. the battery is about a year old now, anyideas.

well i tried again this morning and it fired right up let it run for 15 minutes and all was well i didnt mant to take it to work until i really find the problem so i went back out about 10 minutes later the S.O.B once again nothing wont turn over it has something to do with the Anti-Theft system the factory installed But Im Truly At A Lose!!!!!!!!

I am having a similar issue. Mine will run perfectly, then I will shut engine and when i try to restart it does nothing. No clicks, no cranking no nothing. Dash lights up and all the normal chirps, beeps work fine. I let it sit for an hour and it turns over fine. No warning or anything

Yup you were right , cleaned the terminals fixed it right any !!

Mine was the starter/Solenoid... After it got warm it wouldnt crank or anything.. Changed Starter and works perfectly. 125 for the starter

another 98 explorer won't start

I have been searching this site for the last six months since my 98 Explorer (Eddie Bauer) 4.0 SOHC won't start.

My wife was driving and it felt like it was loosing the pwr steering and pwr brakes. She stopped at a red light and the vehicle stalled and would not start. I had it towed to my house so I can diagnose. vehicle will crank but not start.

I have checked:

-Throttle control voltage
-PATS Working properly - used key without chip= flashing fast and keys with chip turns out light
-Changed fuel filter
-Changed IAC
-Changed Camshaft sensor
-Getting spark
-cleaned MAF sensor
-new fuel pump relay
-checked fuses and swapped relays around
-Fuel in the fuel rail with about 37lbs of pressure
-When spraying starting fluid in throttle - vehicle still not starting

I'm totally lost and don't know what to check!!!!

Please Help

Any chance that the plugs could be foulded at this point? You might want to pull a couple to see how they look. Also, check all vacuum lines.

My anti-theft sticks on sometimes. What i do to turn mine off is get in the car, lock the doors, then hold down the larger button on the remote and it disables the anti-theft. Although it doesn't always seem to work perfectly.

compression test

I have been searching this site for the last six months since my 98 Explorer (Eddie Bauer) 4.0 SOHC won't start. . .
Please Help

I suggest that you perform a compression test. Low compression on one bank indicates a slipped timing chain on that bank. Low compression on both banks indicate a slipped primary chain.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to check yet, had some personal issues that came up. Thank you for everyone's help...

Back