• Register Today It's free!

extended radius arm's 12"

Hotweels

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary,AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 EB
just tried my hand at extending a pair of B2/exploder radius arm's 12"...

2x2x1/4" HSS was used for the extension... ya it look's like ass but it's strong and i had a chunk layin around :D

this is just a prototype.... if they break then i will show ya what i do to fix em but so far i dont forsee any problem's.... except the mounting bracket... but that's being handled by the owner of the B2 these are for....

if ya cant figger it out from the pic's then dont try this at home kiddies...

000_0146.jpg

000_0147.jpg

000_0148.jpg

000_0149.jpg

000_0150.jpg

000_0151.jpg

oh an if ya bring yer junk over here fer me to play with then its a good idea to supply yer own paint.... if ya dont then i aint responsible fer whut colour it's returned as.... think theres a can of neon pink somewhere around here.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turned out surprisingly better than I expected. :D

i am damn good with a grinder ;)

you are good with a grinder, I remember that crossmember you made was pretty sic.

I would think you'd be ahead to box the rad arm sections to increase the strength. As it is now you have weak points at the weld areas and under stress may end up with cracks forming. Having the thing fully boxed would reduce this greatly. Also why keep the studs on the ends? You need to more or less fab up a new crossmember in the new position anyways, why not put heims on the ends? It would make the crossmember a little easier to make and give you more flex due to the heims. Basically a variation on the Duff arms.

heim's are useless with stupidlift coil's.... rubber bushings on extended arm's are more then enuff.

boxing the arm is a good idea.... but if i went to all that trouble i would have built a set from scratch....

this is a cheap an easy way of doing it.... not to sound ****y but my welding is pretty fair..... it wont break it will bend if anything. (fingers crossed) :D

Well the weld area may be fine, but its what happens to the metal surrounding the weld that can cause the problem, which can in turn work its way into the weld area. I also beg to differ on the heims. A friend of mine has a 6" lift on his Explorer. Comparing the heims he runs now to the rubber bushings that were on the arms there was a noticable difference. There is a reason that I'm going with heims on mine as compared to rubber bushings. I wish rubber bushings worked as well as heims since they're so much cheaper, but I want flex from my rig.

The only advantage bushing has is they reduce the shock of hitting bumps and potholes.

As for heims. When I installed my duff arms. I had to stand on the hub to get the coil out. After installing the arms I jacked up the axle, dropped in the coil and kept jacking until it was seated. My shocks are limiting me now. I figure I have about 2 or 3 inches with the stuperlift coils.

Watchout.... going to 3.5 VR's next winter. Hopefully cut and turned beams... :cool:

here's autofab's kit

mdl28.jpg

here's skyjackers

skyjackerlift.jpg

here's duff's

5345.jpg

good geometry is what gives you the flex.....

i was asked to build these cheap as possible not flexy as hell.... you get whut u pay for..... now i wanna see em werk

Any up dates on how these are working, they did turn out better then i thought.

Just curious whats the thickness of the box tubing and the radius arm metal?

Do you have any pics of the crossmember?

sorry no updates..... the buddy i built em for is just getting around to his suspension rite now but said the stock crossmember might just work with a lil fabbing.

the radius arm's are 3/16" the tube is just 2x2x1/4" HSS
i have found a few folk's who have done pretty much the exact same thing to various trucks and one is a 300hp small blocked ranger that plays in the mud and rocks alot.... so far no issues.

soon as the arm's are installed and tested i will post some pic's and results... dont worry.... the B2 they are going on has 34"s and is driven like a tuff truck.....

well i spose a update is LONG overdue....

my buddy did manage to break one of the arm's but he also ended up destroying the rest of the truck around it.... he drove off an embankment apparently and tottaled the whole rig.... but they worked pretty good before that happend so..... :p

i know this is old but has anyone else made 2x2 radius arm extensions?

I fabbed a set for my ranger out of 1/4" wall dom tube a while back
1017091155.jpg

0707092128.jpg

0707092120.jpg

0710091911.jpg

1017091537.jpg

1031091518.jpg

1107091505a.jpg

1107091505.jpg

yeah ive seen yours before but would you set them the same way with a smaller lift

Back