Extended warranty for timing chains? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extended warranty for timing chains?

jspbtown

Reaction score
City, State
Belchertown, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport-Trac
Does anyone have any hard facts on this prior posting? I have a 2001 Sport Trac that has this timing chain noise. It has 67K miles and my local dealer says no such warranty exists. Need something to reference.

Published: 01 December 2000
Robert Lane
Date of Revision: None

Ford Motor Company has decided to extend the warranty on 1997-2000 Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer models produced at their St. Louis assembly plant that are equipped with the 4.0L SOHC engine. The free extended warranty also applies to 2001 Explorer Sport and Sport Trac models with the 4.0L SOHC engine as well.

The extended warranty will only cover the engines camshaft, timing chain tensioner and lower intake manifold gasket for six (6) years of 72,000 miles. If the vehicle already has 72,000 miles than the warranty will be extended to 01 April 2001.

Ford will also authorize dealers to replace all three parts should a vehicle come into the service department for any one of the problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think it is a warranty but a service bulletin

jspbtown said:
The extended warranty will only cover the engines camshaft, timing chain tensioner and lower intake manifold gasket for six (6) years of 72,000 miles. If the vehicle already has 72,000 miles than the warranty will be extended to 01 April 2001.

I had the timing chain tensioner and lower intake manifold gasket replaced on my 99 Sport BUT only after my Ford dealer heard the noise. At the time I had the number of the service bulletin and told them what I needed but the service manger said "We'll see" until he heard the noise. Do a search here for rough idle and you should be able to find the bulletin number. Good luck.

I know there is a TSB out there for this exact problem. I have no doubt that it is my timing chains. What I need is further info regarding this extension of the factory warranty. I have done a search and while people speak of it, no where can I find anything to reference for my dealer. They say they are not aware of anything.

The bulletin is 00m12

Took a bit of searching but I found it. :bounce: Go to http://www.alldata.com/TSB/012071_en.html to select the version of SOHC engine you have. They list all the recalls for your truck so make sure that they are all completed.

Ford says no warranty extension for my 2001 Explorer Sport Trac with a E VIN code. Whats the deal with this?

Ask to speak to the area manager

As you saw under General Recalls with an E Vin, it says:
00M12 NOV 00 Campaign - Camshaft Chain Tensioner & Intake Gasket
Maybe your's isn't that noisy yet but being so close to the max on mileage I'd ask to speak to the area manager. I think I saw in another post that it costs about $550 if you have to pay them to do the work and $50 for just the parts so you can do it yourself. :banghead: Good luck.

Oh its noisy now. Alldata says 2001 Sport Trac with E code....but I guess not MY 2001 Sport Trac with an E code.

I have done a search but no luck. Any on-line instructions for the tensioner?

The ONP #s are 00M12 and 01M01. There are very detailed instructions (with pics) on how to replace yourself on the site. Check under the Useful Threads forum. Otherwise, search for 00M12 and 01M01 for tons of threads to read thru.

I looked everywhere and can't locate theinstructions. I did see several pictures of the kit, but no detailed instructions. Anyone give me a hand here? Also, what are the opnions as to the need for this. My 2001 Sport Trac is NOT covered by the warranty, yet I am having the classic symptoms. Should I spend the $50 and install the kit?

Since I have a lot of time on my hands....

here is the link to replacing the camshaft chain tensioner http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...&threadid=61152. It's on the second page a little more than half way down but unfortunately it is an old post and the pictures are not there any longer. While doing some reading I see that others had problems getting their dealer to honor the TSB. They recommended trying another dealership and calling the Ford customer service. Good luck.

I have a 1997 sohc thats is the shop right now for what im pretty sure is going to be this camshaft chain tensioner problem. It has 98,000 miles. Am I SOL. Was the recall just a extended warenty for this problem.

Thanks, Peter

I have the Ford issused instructions that are given to the dealer techs. If you need the instructions for installing the kit email me at JG24CV@hotmail.com

Back