Engine out for timing chains... what else should I replace? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine out for timing chains... what else should I replace?

lil mikey

Reaction score
City, State
Pacific NW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited, 2015 Sport
Hey all,

I'm new here as a member, but have been using the info off this site for a while. Thanks to everyone that keeps posting great info!

On to the issue. My other half has a 2000 Explorer 4.0 SOHC with 250k+ miles, and it finally ate it's first timing chain guide (passenger side of course). So I pulled the motor last week and am trying to think of what kind of things I should do while it's out. We'll keep driving this thing until the body panels fall off, so we're talking long term as long as the engine doesn't grenade at some point. Overall vehicle condition is very good, and I've seen 80k mile engines that didn't look this good on the inside. You'll never catch the woman late on an oil change and it shows.:) Still starts and runs great, drives great, no check engine light. Replaced the rear axle and transmission within the last year. Rear axle looked like lube failure - that's what I get for not doing it myself. The transmission had an internal mechanical failure... can't remember exactly what the shop said failed, but it was definitely toast. I pulled the transmission to rebuild it myself and found damage on the input shaft, so I took it to a shop for the tear down. Ended up getting both the axle and transmission from a salvage yard so it wasn't outlandishly expensive.

Anyway, here's my list so far:
All timing chains, guides, and tensioners - 4x4 so it has the balance shaft
Oil pan upper and lower gaskets
Valve cover gaskets
Water pump - nothing wrong with it, but while I'm in there
Oil pressure sensor - been acting up for a while on startup (probably over 100k miles)
Oil pump drive - found a new one for $20 so might as well... Also I found a post about one failing.
Oil pump intermediate shaft if needed
Intake gaskets
Inspect rear main seal and replace if it looks like it needs it
Thermostat housing and thermostat - housing just started leaking
Belt tensioner pulley and idler pulley - they both sound a little shaky
Spark plugs - I don't think it needs them but it's really easy on the engine stand. :)
Plug wires are good quality and in great shape, so using them a bit more (Probably 50k on them)
Injector o-rings

I thought about getting the injectors checked at a shop, but since the car starts and runs smooth, and they aren't hard to get to, I might wait on those.

Oil pump? I tried searching for oil pump failures, but got a lot of hits that looked like poor maintenance practices. So I'm caught between "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." and "while I'm in here finally paying for some of the use I've gotten out of this Explorer..."

I think I'll also find a place to hide real oil and temp gauges, so when oil pressure starts dropping too low at idle I can go to 10w-40, or pull the motor for a light overhaul.

So am I missing anything? Anybody have other ideas?

Thanks all!

Mike

And for the Ford fans... :D
http://forums.tccoa.com/7-engine-4-6l-5-4l/89775-3-8l-sc-4-6l-terminator-swap.html

If is 4x4 then at least clean the oil pump pickup now. And replace the O2 sensors.
Both hard to do with engine on the truck.

I would address your cylinder heads. Specifically the valve seats. On our vehicles they are known and tend to recede. Since you are on a budget, I would look for a set off a low mileage salvaged explorer. I can get 'em for $40-$50 in southern California wrecking yards. The cost for machining and replacement is well above that. 260,000 is a teenager with our vehicles.

Do the rear main seal anyway.

Back