Questions on pulling 4.0 SOHC for timing chains | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions on pulling 4.0 SOHC for timing chains

stangsteeda

Reaction score
City, State
Asheville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explorer Sport
Hi guys, I have been experiencing the beginnings of the infamous "death rattle" on my 140,000 mile 2001 sport with a 4.0 SOHC. After reading through many of the related threads, I have made all the plans to pull the motor to replace the timing chains, tensioners, guides, clutch, and slave cylinder. I have a couple questions before starting the job.

1) I am unsure if my Ex has the revised oil tensioners from Ford or not, is there a way to look at these to determine which I will need or if I need to replace these at all.

2) I had found two timing chain kits on ebay but wanted to confirm they are of the revised type not the pre service bulletin crap. Or should I just get the parts from Ford, or is there some other quality vendor I have missed?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_1182

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZD...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3694wt_939

3) As for pulling the motor, are there any tips or tricks pertaining to explorers that may be different than Mustangs (which I am used to). I searched but couldnt find any threads on pulling the motor.

4) The instructions in the Haynes manual for pulling the motor say you must evacuate the ac system to disconnect the lines. Is this true or is there a way to move the compressor and attached lines out of the way enough to remove the motor?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

SOHC V6 removal

. . .
3) As for pulling the motor, are there any tips or tricks pertaining to explorers that may be different than Mustangs (which I am used to). I searched but couldnt find any threads on pulling the motor.

How to: Remove 4.0 Engine Explorer 1997-2001

Ford Explorer SOHC Timing Chain Replace

. . .
4) The instructions in the Haynes manual for pulling the motor say you must evacuate the ac system to disconnect the lines. Is this true or is there a way to move the compressor and attached lines out of the way enough to remove the motor?

It is unnecessary to disconnect the A/C compressor lines or the power steering pump lines. See my thread:

SOHC V6 Timing Chain Saga

Thanks a lot for those links that is exactly what I was looking for. I was looking in "under the hood" and in "technicians tips and tricks" my bad. But thanks again.

Were have you been dude?:D

Back