Exterior Door Handle Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exterior Door Handle Question

dunbar26

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
So last winter my door handle was frozen and I yanked on it to open it and ended up breaking the handle off the drivers side rear door. I called the local dealer for a replacement and they want 80 dollars for a piece of junk plastic. Then I checked eBay and all I could find were ones that said they are for the passenger side. Now I was wondering if they are all same drivers side and passenger side? If anyone could let me know I would appreciate it.

Here is what I'm looking at on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Outs...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for looking but I need the drivers side rear w/o the keyhole. I've searched all online and can't find one for the drivers side rear.

So last winter my door handle was frozen and I yanked on it to open it and ended up breaking the handle off the drivers side rear door. I called the local dealer for a replacement and they want 80 dollars for a piece of junk plastic. Then I checked eBay and all I could find were ones that said they are for the passenger side. Now I was wondering if they are all same drivers side and passenger side? If anyone could let me know I would appreciate it.

Here is what I'm looking at on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Outs...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Man that really sucks. Funny thing though, I broke the exact same handle last winter as well. We had rain the day before and froze over night, went to open the door the next morning and the damn thing fell off in my hand. I paid $110 for a new one at the dealer (freaking rip off). I installed it myself, not that difficult of a job just more annoying since I am of greater size then most :D and there is not much room to get up in there and remove the bolts.

Yeah I called the local dealer and they wanted 80 dollars for a piece of plastic that will probably break again before I get rid of the truck.

When I broke mine, I had to pick my heart up off the ground then the realization set in that I was going to have to spend a ridiculous amount of money for a freaking door handle. I kept the old one as it was only the pivot point that broke so I may be able to JB Weld that mother back together if I break the new one as well.

well at least yours isnt painted, so if mines where to break, that would suck big time for me

But the painted ones look so much better!!!

Was the exterior handle difficult to install? Mine froze and broke as well. I saw a post about removing window track and other stuff and thought it may be too much crpa to break to fix something else. Did you have to remove the window track?

Back