Exterior paint for plastic?

Jornum1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Clifton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 4x4 SOHC
ok I took my Letters off the back of my truck. I want to paint them white. What kind of paint should I use. I tried good old interior/exterior all purpose paint, but it cracked up. So I soaked them in paint remover and I got it all off. What should I use. They are the plastic letters on the back of a '99. Thanks guys,
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Bosch 4+'s, Lowered 2 inches,
Eldebrock shocks,
Sony Mobile Es head unit,
Sony 1/2 din Equalizer,
10 disc ES cd changer,
6 disc MD changer,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I should add that the Paint didnt stick very well either, I did several coats, and let them dry 2 days. I guess there is some sort of sealant on the pieces to resist paint, and debris? Can I paint over this, is there a way to remove the sealant? Is there a place I cant get Letters like that colored? Please help anyone.
Thanks
Jason

Hey J, did you sand the letters and prime them. Just spray painting them isn't a good idea. The letters are glossy silver which means that paint won't stick to it. Paint doesn't stick well on glossy surfaces. So you need to sand it with a fine grit and I would prime it so the paint would stick better. Then spray paint them, with several thin coats rather than one thick coat. You could also find some spray touch up paint for a car and use that instead of the indoor/outdoor paint. Good Luck

the R

well I did do, a bunch of thin coats. But thanks for the advice, How should I sand them? alot, or just a little, I am not sure I understand. I want it to look nice. Should I sand it so its rough? If anyone can help thanks.
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Bosch 4+'s, Lowered 2 inches,
Eldebrock shocks,
Sony Mobile Es head unit,
Sony 1/2 din Equalizer,
10 disc ES cd changer,
6 disc MD changer,

Hey J, you just need to sand it with a fine grit, about 120 to 150. Just to coursen up the surface so that the paint will stick. I would use primer if I were you especially if you don't want it to peel off later. Good luck.

Back