External Door Handle Spring replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

External Door Handle Spring replacement?

tjrtmaster

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 96 Explorer XLT 2WD V6. The drivers side exterior door handle springs are broken and the handle flops around. Can the springs be replaced or does the door handle need to be replaced? If the springs can be replaced how do I do that?

Thanks
Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Springs can't be replaced AFAIK, but supplemental springs can be added.

I just bought an assortment of throttle return springs at the auto parts store, or you can probably find a single spring at the hardware store. There's a STICKY on how/where to install the spring, but I don't have time to look for it right now. Search for "floppy door handle fix".

^ Other method koda2000 is referring to:

door latch problem solved - temporarily maybe?? | Ford Explorer and Ranger

Door latches, actuators, and handles are not one of the Explorers stronger points. BTDT

Yup, that's the thread. I did this fix on my '01 EB about 4 years ago. Still working fine. I've also replaced exterior handles, but you have to paint them to match your truck, it's more work, the plastic replacements tend to eventually break (I don't think the metal ones are available anymore) and the springs eventually break again.

Basically the add-a-spring fix keeps tension on the rod that the exterior door handle is attached to taking the place of the original handle's springs.

Tip: Remove the lower rear window channel to get better access. One bolt and pull down. There's a spring clip that holds the lower channel to the upper and it pulls right off.

Well, I took the door panel apart, added a spring to the tension rod and it is good as new. For $1.10 this is one of the cheapest fixes yet. Thanks for the information. Total time for the fix was less than an hour.

Yup, that's the thread. I did this fix on my '01 EB about 4 years ago. Still working fine. I've also replaced exterior handles, but you have to paint them to match your truck, it's more work, the plastic replacements tend to eventually break (I don't think the metal ones are available anymore) and the springs eventually break again.

Basically the add-a-spring fix keeps tension on the rod that the exterior door handle is attached to taking the place of the original handle's springs.

Tip: Remove the lower rear window channel to get better access. One bolt and pull down. There's a spring clip that holds the lower channel to the upper and it pulls right off.
Rock Auto has the metal ones around $16.00 each i just got mine today (1/16/2021) $24.00 shipping and tax to Pa. It looks and feels really stout, you have to buy the rivets separately but I already have them (the rivets are the 1/4 inch ones so you will also need the big rivet gun or use nuts and butten head bolts)

Back