Extreme Temps and Weird HVAC Quirks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extreme Temps and Weird HVAC Quirks

mounty71

It's green, not gray.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
2000 Mountaineer with the HVAC panel shown below, dealing with some weird issues with the heat and AC. The back story is I had a roll cage built a while ago that goes through the dash and firewall into the engine bay. Because the A-pillar tubes enter the dash where the side vents are, the ducting to the side vents was chopped off so that the HVAC air just blows out behind the dash now. I still have the center dash vents and the center defrost vents, it was maybe 6 inches of the ducting that was cut out for each pillar tube right where the tubes are. But after the cage work, the issues I started having are:

1) When the system is turned off, there's still a very small amount of air coming out of the vents, as if the system is not completely off. It's not just ambient air that I'm feeling - the temperature of the air depends on what the temp was last set at...even though the system is off. I've noticed this happens in other much newer cars for whatever reason, for example like the last two daily driver Mazdas I've had (which is aggravating - off should be off !!), but in the 15 years I owned the Mountaineer before the cage work, this never happened. Since there's no flap or anything that blocks off the vents when the system is off in the area that was chopped out, I don't understand why this would suddenly start happening.

2) For those who aren't familiar with this HVAC system, the temperature options start at 60*, then jumps to 65, then 66, 67, 68, 69, etc. and on up. If I set the vent/AC temp at 60* it is cool/cold, but if I go up one option to 65*, it drastically changes to hot air. From 65* on up, the temperature doesn't change, it's just hot. Doesn't matter if it's A/C or just the vent setting. This was never a problem before either.

3) The center of the dashboard and center console below the dash become extremely hot to the touch. The HVAC controls, radio controls, the top padding of the dash all become very hot. Hot to the point that I'm seeing the heat waves in the air floating above the dashboard as I drive. I think the heat even killed the screen on my head unit.

I've had a few thoughts but wanted some input. Thoughts:

A) My obvious first thought was the removal of some of the ducting was the issue, but like I said above, this shouldn't be the cause because there's no flap or door that controls the air that was removed. And since the ducting was only cut at the outside vents, it doesn't make sense that only the center part of the dash gets hot. So I've ruled this out.

B) I thought maybe since the steel tubing of the cage is coming from the engine bay, maybe the tubing is getting hot in the engine bay and then radiating behind the dashboard. But I've ruled this out too. The cage only goes through the firewall right in front of the A-pillars. There is not a tube spanning behind the dash from one pillar to the other. So again doesn't make sense that only the center of the dash would be getting hot.

C) I haven't taken the dash apart to investigate, but there are some electrical issues that also started right after the cage work, like the power mirrors don't work, the overhead console screen for the outside air temp and compass don't work, the dimmer switch is finicky now, and maybe some other random things I can't remember. My thought is there must be some electrical issue causing this, but I know very little about wiring. Other than searching for a broken wire, I wouldn't know where to start. The cage fab guy was very careless about several other things he did which I'm not happy about, so an electrical issue is definitely a possibility.

So what would you guys recommend looking for as the culprit? Do all these symptoms seem related to one root cause?

s-l640.jpg

55812770030__4394FB65-3404-4EB4-B636-0C7E3F77F26C.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your vacuum connections. The fresh air door shuts in max ac mode but I think its open when off. Also in ac mode the vacuum shut off comes on for the heater core control valve. I suspect this hose is off/broken causing all the heat quirks.

I have the original duct frame from the 2nd gen I took apart. I'll take a picture tomorrow so you have better visualize how everything is sits behind the dash. I was about to cut it up and toss it.

Check your vacuum connections. The fresh air door shuts in max ac mode but I think its open when off. Also in ac mode the vacuum shut off comes on for the heater core control valve. I suspect this hose is off/broken causing all the heat quirks.

Is the fresh air door the same as the blend door? I replaced the blend door actuator fairly recently, but honestly can't remember if it was before or after the cage. Also replaced the heater core control valve at the same time. But I'll check into both. Is there a diagram or something that outlines all of the vacuum lines?

I have the original duct frame from the 2nd gen I took apart. I'll take a picture tomorrow so you have better visualize how everything is sits behind the dash. I was about to cut it up and toss it.

That would be great. If it isn't too much trouble maybe you could cut those end sections off and ship them to me so I can try to build the ducts back up as much as possible.

Let me know what you need?

20200419_131530.jpg

This the route I went . I have 1-1/2" sump pump hose going to each duct. This is 2nd gen HVAC in the Navajo. Yes it works.;)

20200301_170401.jpg

Most of these issues seem to be electrical related. The moving air while off can be due to the fresh air for being open (can't completely seal a cabin due to co2, etc) or it could be that the box is right against the cage and a rough flex may have twisted/shifted the box and the door can no longer fully seal

Back