• Register Today It's free!

Fab radio bezel

Mesozoic

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mercury Mountaineer
The radio bezel in my '00 5.0 Mounty has seen better days. Since I use the truck for light wheeling duties with my family, the stock radio bezel needs to be replaced. I have previously reinforced it with aluminum plate supports and other things, but this time it looks like it's ready for a full replacement. I'm curious if anyone has fabricated a steel or aluminum radio bezel for their truck. I'd like to add mounting provisions for a single DIN aftermarket stereo, compact CB radio, OEM EATC panel, OEM AC registers, various switches and plug interfaces (USB), and rear (inside) mounting provision for a pair of compact amps and an inverter. Just not really sure where to start. I think aluminum would make sense, perhaps 1/16" and some powdercoat once completed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There have been a ton of people modify their bezels and install double DIN radios etc, many altered the side switches in various ways. I think virtually all of them were plastic or epoxy materials. I was part of a forum buy of carbon fiber dipped finished trim parts. I think that would be most people's preference for the plastic stuff. Powder coating is great for anything that can take the heat to do it.

So are you just trying to add the small radio and CB in the place of the stock opening? That would seem minor to do, but it would be a similar process like other people made it accept a double DIN. I've wanted to do that for my old work truck, for the big display and a back up camera.

There have been a ton of people modify their bezels and install double DIN radios etc, many altered the side switches in various ways. I think virtually all of them were plastic or epoxy materials. I was part of a forum buy of carbon fiber dipped finished trim parts. I think that would be most people's preference for the plastic stuff. Powder coating is great for anything that can take the heat to do it.

So are you just trying to add the small radio and CB in the place of the stock opening? That would seem minor to do, but it would be a similar process like other people made it accept a double DIN. I've wanted to do that for my old work truck, for the big display and a back up camera.
Honestly, I'm just trying to maintain a functional radio bezel. I figured that fabricating a metal one might be more durable, but carbon fiber would almost certainly do the trick as well. I'm not very well versed in carbon layup, unfortunately, so I would be hesitant to attempt something on my own, but if there are carbon bezels available for purchase I would be very interested in that! The CB radio could be mounted in numerous other locations, so certainly not a priority.

I'm sorry, when I posted CF dipped, I meant the appearance is CF. The trim was sent off to a place that remioved the rubber original finish, and dipped the parts in a vat with a film on the surface. That adhered, and they then painted clear over that. Dipping parts was rare back then, but now it's rather common if you hunt for those businesses.

The cigarette lighter outlet on the bezel is very fragile, the plastic flange of that hole is easy to break. So I would include reinforcements for that hole for sure.

I had bought about three spare bezels about ten years ago, planning to put together one or two nice ones. Now it will be much harder to find solid versions. The top air vent section is removable, the key items there are the tiny tangs which hold the vent section in place. So you want to find a solid core part for a bezel. If it's going to be refinished, than the color won't matter and you can look at later Sport Trac models or Rangers, depending on which side switches you need. It's possible you can use epoxy to rebuild or upgrade a bezel with switches or features you want.

Carbon fiber seems like overkill. Regular mat and resin would be fine. I would not add any amps or inverters behind. Way to packed with wires and junk. Inverters are inherently noisy (electrically) and will almost certainly induce terrible noise into your radio.

I’d just cut a factory one to fit the cb and head unit, and get creative with the switches. It’d take days of labor to fabricate something functional that looked right.

I have had good luck with 1/8" sheet aluminum. 1/16 is harder to cut and keep from getting bent.

Perhaps you could cut a custom face plate to use with the stock bezel?

A faceplate in a factory bezel is a great idea.

Anyone have pictures of what they have done or made? And it may sound crazy but what about shaping the whole thing from a block of hard wood? Couple good coats of clear never know it was wood. I'm not a wood worker but it's a thought.

I'm sorry, when I posted CF dipped, I meant the appearance is CF. The trim was sent off to a place that remioved the rubber original finish, and dipped the parts in a vat with a film on the surface. That adhered, and they then painted clear over that. Dipping parts was rare back then, but now it's rather common if you hunt for those businesses.

The cigarette lighter outlet on the bezel is very fragile, the plastic flange of that hole is easy to break. So I would include reinforcements for that hole for sure.

I had bought about three spare bezels about ten years ago, planning to put together one or two nice ones. Now it will be much harder to find solid versions. The top air vent section is removable, the key items there are the tiny tangs which hold the vent section in place. So you want to find a solid core part for a bezel. If it's going to be refinished, than the color won't matter and you can look at later Sport Trac models or Rangers, depending on which side switches you need. It's possible you can use epoxy to rebuild or upgrade a bezel with switches or features you want.
I can attest to the cigarette light issue. On one of my Explorers (4 of them), the lighter bezel broke out and the lighter just fell into the dash. I looked around and found zero bezels available. I went to pill a part places and found most of those have the same issue or wrong layout (I don't have fog lights). I looked around for several months and found a plastic ring for (I believe) a 2004 Explorer lighter that was in the console. It was cheap so I ordered it. When it came, it was too big. So I cut it, little by little until it was small enough to fit the hole and fit the lighter part in. I didn't epoxy it in because it was tight enough.
lighter1.jpeg

I did the same as above. Once I fixed it using the original parts and a washer I made, the second time (different mountaineer) I added an aftermarket socket.

@Mesozoic and @MakinJeepsWeep!

I've kept this pic in my electronic Explorer file for years - since August 2008.

It's an example of a modified bezel - double DIN & SAT Radio receiver.

It's not mine - but at the time I thought it was a a good job and it got the creative juices flowing.

I believe it came off of this forum -

HTH!

Explorer_Custom_Radio_Bezel.jpg

I always love custom ‘glass.

I can attest to the cigarette light issue. On one of my Explorers (4 of them), the lighter bezel broke out and the lighter just fell into the dash. I looked around and found zero bezels available. I went to pill a part places and found most of those have the same issue or wrong layout (I don't have fog lights). I looked around for several months and found a plastic ring for (I believe) a 2004 Explorer lighter that was in the console. It was cheap so I ordered it. When it came, it was too big. So I cut it, little by little until it was small enough to fit the hole and fit the lighter part in. I didn't epoxy it in because it was tight enough. View attachment 327648
I'm going to be converting that hole to a round double USB for the Android stereo. Mine is actually holding up well, but for the usb plug that internal retainer ring has to be dremeled out (it is for a standard hole). 12V plugs are rare and there is a powerpoint on the side anyway. A cigarette will never see the inside of any of my cars, so I don't need a lighter. If that custom ring isn't there, I believe a standard 12V socket can be installed.

When I have time, I'm going to model the stock bezel mounting points in Solidworks and design something that can be cut out from 1/8" aluminum. I will probably powdercoat it in textured black as well. For now, I've managed to reinforce the bottom mounting holes using an internal steel "spine" and an external aluminum powdercoated plate - also had to drill 2 holes through the bezel so I could run a screw through through each top corner into push-on nut clips. This is working for now, but as you can imagine it's not pretty.

Back