• Register Today It's free!

Factory chrome grill bubbling

bender

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Limited
My 08 limited's chrome grill is starting to bubble and run (looks like air bubbles under the chrome plating). this is occuring in two places on the piece that runs across the top of the bumper below the grill opening.

I plan to take it to the dealer and hopefully get it replaced under warranty. Has anyone else with an 06+ encountered this problem?

I have a feeling the extreme cold temps and freeze/thaw process over the past 2 weeks had something to do with it.

-also can anyone confirm that the chrome is a separate (replaceable) piece from the bumper cover or is it all one shot?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the grill on my 06 eb was bubling- covered under warranty.

That's an odd problem, mine started on my 2nd gen.. only after the grill was destroyed from an accident.

Tsb

There is a TSB on the front grill chrome....they should replace it.

do you have a link to the TSB or any details, i'd like to provide it when they take a look on Monday. This is my first experience with the service dept so i dont know if i need any 'ammo'

do you have a link to the TSB or any details, i'd like to provide it when they take a look on Monday. This is my first experience with the service dept so i dont know if i need any 'ammo'

Your better off not going in with a TSB that you got off of the internet, its a great way to piss them off. Not all TSB affect all vehicles, even though the internet says so. They need to run your VIN to see if your part was affected.

TSB 08-10-4 for your chrome grill

I hear motorcraft.com is a pretty reliable internet source for TSBs :) Though you have to toss them a few bucks for temp access. Sadly, I've come to use this site to diagnose annoyances on my truck....had at least 6 issues that ended up being TSBs (don't get me started on the TCM flashes for the tranny)

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vd...pageid=pubs_tsb&gutsid=pubs_tsb&menuIndex1=43

I've never had a problem bringing in a TSB to a dealer, but then again it's all in your tact. I'm never an over-confident ass who throws it in the dealers face....instead just tell them you're having a problem and you happened to run across a TSB on Ford's website that seems similar...let the dealer do their part to officially "diagnose" it. If handled properly, the service writer is usually appreciative that you've done some homework for him.

Also, TSBs usually only state the year and model of vehilcle their applicalbe for...not specific VIN. Though you can search by VIN if you choose on the motorcraft site.

-------
TSB-08-10-4: CHROME GRILLE—PEELING, BLISTERING

ISSUE WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of
Some 2006-2008 Explorer 4dr and 2007-2008 New Vehicle Limited
Explorer Sport Trac vehicles may exhibit a peeling, Warranty Coverage
blistering or wrinkling chrome grille.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
Replace the grille using Work Shop Manual (WSM),Section 501-08.
-------

good luck!

Back