• Register Today It's free!

Chrome Flashing on Grill

timmyt101

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
The chrome flashing on my 2007 Explorer is peeling off and I'm looking for ideas on what to do. The rest of the vehicle is excellent and this really bugs me. The vehicle is white with black trim and I thought making the grill black might look nice, but how would I get all of the chrome crap off and what would work best for painting it black. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's had this stuff peel off. Thanks.

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seem to recall that there was a recall notice or bulletin of some type about this not too long ago. Do a VIN search for recalls, or see what your dealer has to say.

My 2007 EB was doing the same thing when I bought it in 2008. A dealer replaced it under warranty so I'm not much help to you but I think a black grill would look good. There is so little chrome on the truck to begin with it probably wouldn't be missed.
As far as repainting it, don't limit yourself to here - it's been done many times to many vehicles and the construction is no different than any other vehicle - chromed plastic. Do a google search and I'm sure you'll find some good info.

You’ll have to peel the chrome off, at least to where it’s solid. You’ll also need a paint that adheres to both plastic and metal.

I sanded mine down best I could and sprayed on bed liner. Easy peasy

auCMzzn.jpg

Hey Tim. Don’t forget EBay. Search for 2007 Explorer Grill. Several choices - chrome and black. YouTube has instructional videos for installation. Good luck.

I sanded mine down best I could and sprayed on bed liner. Easy peasy

auCMzzn.jpg
Thanks, Bob - looks exactly what I'm looking for. Did you pull the grill or just take your time with it in place?

What about using an Expy Sport Trac Adrenalin grill from the same year as your XLT Expy? All the ones i've seen in person are black. I do not know if this would be a direct fit, although it seems to me like it would be. Has anyone done this?

the fastest and most easy way to remove the fake chrome is using a propane torch it just falls off before the heat can ever melt the plastic

Thanks, Bob - looks exactly what I'm looking for. Did you pull the grill or just take your time with it in place?

Took it off. Much easier than trying to paint it in place.

All sanded and ready. Did you wipe the grill down with anything like mineral spirits or use a plastic primer? Also, bed liner spray did you use?

All sanded and ready. Did you wipe the grill down with anything like mineral spirits or use a plastic primer? Also, bed liner spray did you use?
You should use an Adhesion Promoter when painting any plastic.

After sanding you can wipe down with mineral spirits, but be sure to use a lint free cloth.

Back