Factory Installed Remote Start Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory Installed Remote Start Problem

kcwebguy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a factory installed remote starter in my 2002 Mountaineer.

The vehicle will only start if the key is in the ignition (although in the off position).

If I remove the key and try to start it remotely, I get all the appearances of the engine starting (lights, clicks, etc) but no actual start up.

Any ideas?

Josen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1-Not factory installed, maybe dealer installed
2-Your bypass might not be working, try to reprogram it (you need your 2 keys) if that doesn't work change it, I got mine for ~20 bucks

1 - Maybe dealer installed. Came with the separate remote start factory manual though.

2 - Do you know where I can find instructions for re-programming it?

I only have one key and FOB. The FOB is not standard and I cannot find any that look like it anywhere online. The FOB is pretty trashed and I would like to replace it. I wouldn't mind two new keys either.

When you say "change it" what do you mean? Change what?

Josen

x2 not oem...dealer installed most common....the remote starter is good,its the module that duplicates the anti-theft code thats not working(this keeps the engine running after start)...try this;
1)turn known good key on then start ,turn off key,remove.
2)within 10 seconds activate remote starter.this should reprogram the remote starter module.

if after a couple trys and this doeasnt work,try the same above without starting.

if that doesnt work,two known good keys are needed to program the module....HTH

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a try and report back.

garyk1970,

your instructions did the trick. Although, it did not work until I did the steps where I "do not" start the engine. Now it works perfectly. Thanks...

jad2411,

That is my FOB right there.

What would be interesting to know is if I have the rear hatch unlock capability with my vehicle. There is not a button for it on the current FOB though...

Josen

Press and hold the unlock button for ~3-4secs

garyk1970,

your instructions did the trick. Although, it did not work until I did the steps where I "do not" start the engine. Now it works perfectly. Thanks...

jad2411,

That is my FOB right there.

What would be interesting to know is if I have the rear hatch unlock capability with my vehicle. There is not a button for it on the current FOB though...

Josen

great, good deal...:salute:

Back