• Register Today It's free!

factory posi?

93 x

Reaction score
City, State
bothell washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
i was wondering how do i find out if my diff has posi with out pulling the cover i know theres a tag on there but where would it be and whats the code for the factory posi also if i can where can i find my build sheet i have heard the top of the gas tank but i dont want to pull it. and one more thing how do ifind my gear ratios with out pulling the cover also.

thanks in advanced:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't remember where I first saw it, but someone on this site posted this link:

ht tp://www.sierrabronco.com/TireGearRatio.htm

It looks to be pretty accurate. Choose your tire size based on the type of performance you need.

I can't remember where I first saw it, but someone on this site posted this link:

ht tp://www.sierrabronco.com/TireGearRatio.htm

It looks to be pretty accurate. Choose your tire size based on the type of performance you need.

that was a really good chart thanks i think im going to run 33s with 4:11 gears im just glad i have factory posi thanks:thumbsup:

that was a really good chart thanks i think im going to run 33s with 4:11 gears im just glad i have factory posi thanks:thumbsup:

its a lsd not a true posi,meaning it will still slip and i would say go 4.56 if your going to spend all that money

its a lsd not a true posi,meaning it will still slip and i would say go 4.56 if your going to spend all that money

i know it will still slip because its not a true locker but it will be fine for mild off roading and also do you guys know if it engages by torque or speed im guessing torque but i could be wrong :dunno:

keep in mind with 4x4 trucks if you change the rear gears to 4.11 or 4.56 you have to change the front axle gears too

keep in mind with 4x4 trucks if you change the rear gears to 4.11 or 4.56 you have to change the front axle gears too

yea i know but would you recommend a good front locker maybe a inexpensive one thanks:thumbsup:

Posi-traction is GM's name for a limited slip differential. Ford calls them a track-lock. A doubt that a 93 has any limited slip function. The Ford track lock is rebuildable, but I believe that you have to set up the gears to rebuild. You may be better off with a new differential like a detroit locker or a gear driven limited slip like a true-trac. I have a True-trac in the front differential. I works very well and will hopefully protect me from a broken axle.

My X is a stock motor with 33s and I realy like a 4.56 ratio. Lots of get up. A lot more fun to drive, just not as fuel effecient.

The Ford track lock is rebuildable, but I believe that you have to set up the gears to rebuild.

The rebuild kit is about $70 (plus some $$ for fresh gear oil) and it takes about 2 hrs and no, you don't have to reset the backlash unless you change from the LS carrier too an open carrier.

When you rebuild, most folks (including me) replace one of the spacers with the best of the old friction discs. This tightens up the LS a lot and for $70 it is well worth it if you don't have the money for a true locker.

I wheeled 33's with 3.73 gearing for 5 years. I recently regeared mostly because I tow a tent trailer to camp at our off road runs.

sweet that helped ALOT thanks so i got a factory posi with 3:73 whats the biggest tire would you reccommend with that gear set
Automatic? 235-75-15s
Manual? 31s

For 33s you'll want 4.56s.

The rebuild kit is about $70 (plus some $$ for fresh gear oil) and it takes about 2 hrs and no, you don't have to reset the backlash unless you change from the LS carrier too an open carrier...

You know that is very intersting, because a buddy of mine (fishfood) let a stealership look at his 8.8 and they wanted like $500 to rebuild his unit. They claimed that they had to setp up the gears. He ran from from them.

The rebuild kit is about $70 (plus some $$ for fresh gear oil) and it takes about 2 hrs and no, you don't have to reset the backlash unless you change from the LS carrier too an open carrier...

You know that is very intersting, because a buddy of mine (fishfood) let a stealership look at his 8.8 and they wanted like $500 to rebuild his unit. They claimed that they had to setp up the gears. He ran from from them.

I did it in my driveway with the axel still in/on the rig in 2 hrs and at least45 minutes of that was spent trying to get the 'S' spring back in:rolleyes:

I'l do you buddy's for $400:D

jk

Airfare to Richmond and back would kill your profit.

Unclemeat, you still in the Richmond VA area? If so, where? I'm in Glen Allen and have a million questions if you have some time some weekend. mashcraft1969@gmail.com is the easiest way to reach me.

Yea, I am still around. Glen Allen is on the other side of Broad Street (west end) from me.

I'm thinking about doing a rear disk brake conversion on mine within the next 2 or 3 weeks and was wondering if you have done that to yours as of yet. CAP on Genito Rd has a huge amount of 1st and 2nd Gen available to pull from, or at least they did a couple of weeks ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm thinking about doing a rear disk brake conversion on mine within the next 2 or 3 weeks and was wondering if you have done that to yours as of yet. CAP on Genito Rd has a huge amount of 1st and 2nd Gen available to pull from, or at least they did a couple of weeks ago.

I swapped in a 2nd gen rear axle on my last Explorer. I got the gear ratio I wanted, limited slip and disc brakes. Conversion was very easy. I did have to change to a '95 master cylinder made for 4-wheel discs; there's a specific one made that you can buy new and it is set up with correct pressures.

To be honest, after the swap I didn't notice braking performance to be that much better. Weight transfer to the front under heavy braking seemed to negate most of the benefits. Might be different with larger tires (I had 32.5s) or a non-stock suspension setup.

Back