• Register Today It's free!

factory sub enclosure

justinf89

Reaction score
City, State
Hampton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 xlt 4x4
I'm looking to add a sub in the factory location by either getting one of those mtx 10" sub enclosure's or maybe even use the factory sub enclosure? I found a factory sub enclosure at the junkyard, but I didn't know anything about it so I didn't pick it up.

Would I get better sound out of an aftermarket enclosure? I want to keep it in the factory location behind the rear right tire.

Also, does anybody know what size sub will fit in the factory enclosure? Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm looking to add a sub in the factory location by either getting one of those mtx 10" sub enclosure's or maybe even use the factory sub enclosure? I found a factory sub enclosure at the junkyard, but I didn't know anything about it so I didn't pick it up.

Would I get better sound out of an aftermarket enclosure? I want to keep it in the factory location behind the rear right tire.

Also, does anybody know what size sub will fit in the factory enclosure? Thanks guys.

its an 8" sub i believe however you can custom fit a 10". An aftermarket encolsure will sound better but it also depends on how much power youre feeding the sub. If you want, I actually have the oem sub enclosure in my garage.

There are a few different versions of OEM enclosures, and some that have smaller subs.

Here is the version I used. Note the front face is flat, so it was easier to get the sub to seal after trimming the opening. This particular version does not have alot of internal volume, so there were fewer sub options to choose from.

0619091509.jpg

I appreciate it guys. I went and looked at the stock sub enclosure again the other day at the junkyard and I'm really not pleased with the volume. I have decided that I'm going to make my own out of wood, like this guy did in the link below. I'm really not into spending like $300 for the mtx enclosure.

I plan to run either a rockford fosgate punch 10" 300w shallow sub, Or I could get away with a non shallow prime 10" 250w sub. The 250w is deeper and I don't know how that will affect the low notes, having a shallow sub. It looks like whatever sub I go with has to be under 5" in depth.

Link:

http://www.cuttingedgeracing.com/zach/box/plans.pdf

I got one out of a '98 EB expl. if anyone wants it. It's got the Stock Sub Amp: 85 watts RMS @ 4 ohms and I Replaced the Sub with the JL audio 8w1v2 (power range is perfect for amp, 50 to 100 RMS)

Make me an offer.

Anyone still have a factory sub enclosure?

I'm looking for a factory sub enclosure for '98-01 Explorer

Back