Factory Tow Package Wiring Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory Tow Package Wiring Problem

sumdig

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Eddie bauer
My 99 explorer has a factory tow package. When I plug the trailer into the truck I only have right turn signals. The brakes, headlights, and left signal do not work. The problem is not in my trailer, (everything works fine on our other vehicle). It seems like there is no juice coming from the exlplorer for the other functions. Anybody have any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a similar problem with my trailer. My plug on my ex is all corroded and needs replacement. Check to make sure yours is not all green and white with corosion. If it is then it needs to be replaced. It is very simple to do... Remove the left rear light assembly and unplug the old and plug in the new... Run the wires and you should be all set...

sumdig said:
My 99 explorer has a factory tow package. When I plug the trailer into the truck I only have right turn signals. The brakes, headlights, and left signal do not work. The problem is not in my trailer, (everything works fine on our other vehicle). It seems like there is no juice coming from the exlplorer for the other functions. Anybody have any suggestions?

I too have a tow package and had the same problem when hooking up a trailer. The problem isn't in the wiring, but rather in the plug that's severely corroded inside due to the fact that the plugs isn't 100% sealed, even with the black rubber cover on. I cleaned the plug a bit, put in some dielectric grease inside of it and that helped it out, making the lights work normally most of the time. The best thing to do would be to change the plug with a new one though, but I haven't done that yet since I don't tow anything nowdays. These plugs are the standard type, so you can probably get one at any car supply store and wire it yourself.

Thanks guys, but I tried that. No dice. I removed the wiring harness and spliced and soldered to eliminate the wiring harness problem. Still no lights!!

I'll have to check the schematics in the AM, but I believe the trailer harness is run off its own fuses.... like I said, will double check in the AM.

-Joe

Back