• Register Today It's free!

Failed Ct. emissions, need help

photogame

Reaction score
City, State
ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer sport
Hello everyone, I hope i found a place and some people that can help me out of my problem. I am willing to listen to any and all suggestions. I do have a little bit of knowledge, mainly basic fixes(1st car, 1930 model A). Tools, wrenches and sockets.

The vehicle - 1999 ford explorer sport 2 door, sohc 4.0L
The problem - failed ct. emissions test , check engine light is on

1st mechanic - new fuel filter and purge solenoid, light still comes on
2nd mechanic - smoke test, fixed some broken/cracked vaccume hoses on
engine, also a vapor canister by gas tank. sorry kinda iffy on
this one, still dealing with that shop.
3rd stop - Ford dealership, (to fix recall on speed control), do diagnostic
test and quote repair/ get check engine light off. there quote
and fixes are

Intake O rings, fuel pressure sensor, vapor management valve
diagnostic codes that showed up today
lean codes PO171 and PO174
vmv code PO443
FTP code P1450

So been reading a little on the forum and will continue to see if i can find some sources to repair this myself, i have just about run out of cash, and have no other resort. Any help would be great, where to start, if it is not something that should be handled by limited knowlegde backyard mechanics. I have found the posting on the fuel pressure sensor. it looks like something i could handle, the rest i am lost.

take care and thankyou in advance
david

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...:scratch:

...For the p0171 and P0174...

A) Not the o2 sensors

1) Probably Vacuum leak
2) Clean the MAF
3) EGR tube leak
4) Plugs and wires
OR 5) Intake manifold gaskets..

...As for your P0443 = Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit

...That should already be taken care of by your solenoid purge valve and cannister replacement....Did they clear the codes when they were done???

...As for your P1450 = Inability of Evaporative Emission Control System to Bleed Fuel Tank

...I am not familiar with it...I wonder if someone got the hoses crossed...:dunno:

ok , so i have done some more reading up on here.

my take so far
1. replace the fuel pressure sensor- was original code problem written on dealership diagnostic test as " P1450 FTP " i saw that thread post and somethiing i can handle.

2. replace upper intake manifold gaskets - take care of lean codes PO171 and PO174. great forum thread on that and again looked like something i can handle.

So , still searching on a thread for the replacement of the ' vapor management valve', any pointers. my other question is just do all three fixes or just one at a time to see what codes disappear. and what order would you do the repairs.

take care, david

A little friendly advice, first of all find one mechanic and stick with them so they know the truck.

For DIY:
1) Get the Haynes book for your truck or an all data DIY subscription and save off the PDFs (alldata carries the factory service manuals). Or even get the factory service manuals. These all carry troubleshooting.

2) Buy an OBD-II scanner or go to the local autoparts store to have them read your codes. DO NOT LET THEM RESET THE ECM. Right now you're in deep do-do so ask around at work, in- laws, and former college roomates for an OBD-II scanner you can take on the drive-cycle fiasco that CT invented.

Important: BE CAREFUL with the fuel pressure sensor. The fuel line has high pressure in fuel injected cars (25 psi, tire pressure range) so be careful to release the pressure in the line somewhere safe first. There is something like 25psi (100psi in some fuel rails at the injector site) and there is risk of a fuel spill or personal injury.

The dealer probably wants to replace the intake o-rings in order to make sure the intake plenum (intake manifold) is seating properly to rule out a manifold vacuum leak.

You're lucky, my mother's CT emissions failure is catalyst threshold (exhaust work, horray). You didn't say when the last tuneup was on your vehicle, but this one hasn't had anything for 140k miles.

Good luck!

BTW, Here is some helpful information about the CT emissions drive cycle for Ford Explorer (at least this 1998 5L 4x4 Eddie Bauer):

Alldata "Drivecycle" how-to for 1999 Ford Truck Explorer 4WD (and I quote, for helping with Connecticut Drive Cycle Emissions):

1. Drive in stop-and-go traffic with at least 4 idle periods (30 seconds each) while observing the status of the OBD II monitor on the scan tool. If the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR), Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S), Evaporative Emission (EVAP), secondary air (AIR) (if applicable) or catalyst efficiency monitor have not completed, drive on the highway at a constant speed over 64 km/hr (40mph) not to exceed 104km/hr (65mph) for up to 15 minutes. Heavy accelerations, sudden decelerations and wide open throttles are not recommended. If the scan tool sends out a three pulse beep at any time, the OBD II drive cycle has completed.

NOTE: Vehicles equipped with the EVAP purge flow system or EVAP vapor management flow system monitor do not require EVAP monitor completion to clear the DTC P1000.

If the exhaust gas recirculation, heated oxygen sensor, evaporative emission, secondary air injection (if applicable) or catalyst efficiency monitor has not completed, perform the corresponding monitor verification drive cycle.

2. Bring the vehicle to a stop and retrieve Continuous Memory DTCs to verify the DTC P1000 has been erased.

(end of quote)

If you cannot find an OBD-II scan tool to borrow for CT drive cycle:
The mechanic who provided this helpful "drive cycle for Explorer" said to simply follow the instructions a few times. He said in his experience that both the stop and go and also the highway were required. Then it would more than likely complete the drive cycle

Back