• Register Today It's free!

Failed emissions- O2

Frankieatc

Reaction score
City, State
hornell, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt
:rolleyes: Bank 1 sensor 2. I replaced it and code came back within 50 miles. Went back to auto store and employee told me it is probably cat. converter. How do I know? I have a 10 day extension for the inspection...help please??!! TIA!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bank one sensor two is after the cat. What was the code that was being pulled? Did it say "catalytic converter below threshold"? If thats the code thats being thrown you may have to bite the bullet. Normally converters do not go bad on their own so it could be possible that you may need to do a tune up (plugs wires all the filters).

Go to an auto parts store that reads code,have them read it then search this site. There will be less guessing if you have questions.

The code, before I replaced the sensor, was for O2 sensor Bank 1 sensor 2. I replaced that sensor, and light is Back On. Where/ how do I search for an answer (I am on an unemployed budget)?

What is the code. Codes read in letters and numbers, not words.

was either p0133 or p0141...I read it at advance but didnt save it :(

Any news on your code reading? Are you sure you replaced the correct sensor and you are getting the exact same code? 1.2 is the drivers side rear

Sorry it's taken so long....unhooked battery to clear codes- went to borrow OBD. 3 Codes showing now:

po136
po171
po174

My temp. inspection runs out saturday :rolleyes:

while IF original code is back (p0136), then you have done nothing. Do yourself a favor and search a bit, you will find some explanations for the codes. Basically, it looks like you have a wiring fault AND the MAF sensor needs "some work".

In general, there are no codes that say "your o2 sensor is bad, replace it". The codes indicate a "condition" of the emissions, most point to "things" that the sensors are "detecting" not that the sensor is bad.

Thanks, I will look up how to clean the MAF and change the plugs.....;)

Caution: Thread Bump ...

I thought I'd tag onto this thread, as the OP's situation is similar to mine.

1996 XLT V8, 210K miles. It's sat for most of the past five + years as a secondary vehicle. I am now wanting to make it driveable again, and have to pass GA Emissions Test. CE Light was on.

Code was P0141 - Bank 1, Sensor 2.

I've read several things that can cause this issue. First off, I had the sensor swapped out for a new one by a "friend of a friend." No change ... CE came back on shortly.

To learn more, I started searching this forum for more clues. In addition, instead of relying on the friendly AutoZone nearby to have access to a code reader, I bought the Elmscan 5 Compact USB Scan Tool, so I could read and clear codes on my own.

I then read here that a dirty MAF sensor can be the cause of a faulty O2 sensor code. I bought the "MAF Cleaner" product, and gave that a try - no change.

I was also told that, if an O2 sensor is not putting out a voltage reading, it's bad. Using the Elmscan tool, I went for a drive and monitored Bank 1 Sensor 2's reading ... it was slow in showing a reading, however, later it did show varying voltage rates. The only thing different from the others is that initially, it showed zero volts, while the other three showed reading almost instantly.

I have found a nearby shop as a last resort ... turns out one of the guys there is a Mustang nut, and knows the 5.0 motor pretty well, including the Explorer. But I would still rather try to resolve this myself, saving me some $$$ (and feeling good about doing it on my own).

I believe this same code occurred previously, and my mechanic friend at the time may have cleaned the EGR to resolve it. I found this thread, but I am still weary of trying this on my own. I seem to recall what a PITA it was for my talented mechanic friend, and I don't have absolute confidence in doing it myself - unless I can be convinced otherwise.

So what say you, oh talented forum members? What should my next step be?

P0141 is one of three things, heater is burned out in o2 sensor, wiring problem or pcm concern.

Back