• Register Today It's free!

Failed Emissions

jar2187

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 EB, 96 limited
I have a 96 5.0 awd limited, the check engine light has been one for sometime now, and i am getting very bad gas mileage, about 12city 17 on highway. I used to get 21 on the highway city was about 15-16 . The code is p0340, camshaft position sensor. Well it failed emissions so they wont inspect it. Reading all these threads on how changing the sensor still doesnt fix the problem, I don't know what to do. Any have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the light is the reason they wont test it. Make the problem go away and you will be fine.

I knew that, but not until after I took it... What is the problems thats my question.

How many miles on the truck, if it's over 65,000 the O2 sensor is likely gone and won't always set a code. If the code is cam position sensor, reset the computer and see if that code comes back again, if so change out the sensor.

much of the time the sensor is only the messenger, not the culprate. Unless the 0s's are talking to you I would leave them alone.
Let me look at my code book tomorrow and get back at you.

How many miles on the truck, if it's over 65,000 the O2 sensor is likely gone and won't always set a code.

Not necessarily true. Many O2 sensors last a very long time. In fact mine are going on 120K now.

Back