• Register Today It's free!

fan clutch issue

dmac0923

Reaction score
City, State
Yorktown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger xlt
on my 2002 4.0 SOHC, the radiator fan comes on as soon as you start the engine and stays on. It doesnt matter if the engine is hot or cold, it comes on.

is the fan clutch stuck in the engaged mode? Right now the outside air temp is about 70*in NY

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That'd be my first guess. The folks that make 'em recommend replacement every 5 years or so.

now to throw a curve ball, i check my dads 2002 Eddie Bauer and his fan does the same thing?

And both fans spin freely when the engine is off

The fan will spin when the engine is running, but the speed at which it spins varies with the temperature of the air it's pulling through the radiator.
It also spins fast for the first few minutes after a cold start up.

Do you have an over heating issue?
Is your fan loud all the time, spinning at high speed along with the engine RPM's or is it pretty quiet?

If your not overheating and the fan is relatively quiet while your driving along then one might conclude nothing is wrong.

If the fan spins freely, with no resistance, then the clutch is totally gone.

Every good fan clutch I have had does this.. When dead cold, the fan clutch engages and you hear a roar for a few seconds... Then the clutch starts to free wheel since it is not up to the temp it needs to stay engaged...

My 99 has run this way for the last 3 years and I stay nice and cool even in the 100+ heat of Texas with the a/c throwing snowballs the entire time...

Is your truck overheating or making any puddles or noises like it is hissing or overheating? The fan clutch, as stated before, will spin all the time... It just fully engages when the thermal spring senses heat and it needs to pull more air through the radiator and condensor...

Ill try to answer all your questions in one post

A/C and all other accessories are off.
with a cold or hot engine

if you bump the engine over with the key the fan will turn also.
If you start the engine the fan comes on what i believe to be full speed and stays on, it doesn't turn off or slow down after several minutes like someone posted.

Although the fan is very quiet i might say. It is not a noticeable noise while driving....

the engine does not overheat.

I get a rogue P0125 code here and there but stays away for a while after i clear it.

With the engine off you can reach down and spin the fan by hand....it doesn't free wheel but does spin relatively easy.

I would have nailed it to the fan clutch being bad.....but for the fan to act the same way in both my and my dad's cars is weird.
granted they are both 2002's mine with 168,000 and his with 58,000 on the clocks.

Back