• Register Today It's free!

Fan clutch?

jsfordboy02

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
96 Explorer sport, last winter going down the interstate engine just would not get very hot, this summer, just wont get real "cold" (you get the picture). I put a new thermostat in last summer. Fan clutch seems relatively tight when engine is cold, seems almost exactly the same when engine is hot. When I rev up the engine I cant really hear the fan blowing a ton of air like my old 88 BII or my dads 98 Ranger does. Suggestions?

At any highway speed, our brick-shaped SUV's have so much air shoved in the radiator from the vehicle moving (or trying to move) through the air that the fan clutch is not a consideration. If it runs hot in city traffic, that's another story...

I'd say check for crud stuck in the AC condenser (ahead of the engine rad), between the condenser/engine rad. Also check for crud in the AC evaporator, fan and ducting on the firewall. Next possible cause would be low freon (the compressor stays engaged at idle and doesn't click on and off, right?)

2nd gens are known for having a great AC/heating system, so it should be able to keep you cool in the summer!

My a/c system is all in perfect condition/working order. The last 2 summers and winters it did not do this. Thats why Im looking for info on the fan clutch.

It was definitely the fan clutch. Fixed.

Back