• Register Today It's free!

Fan Clutch problems?

jen06explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Eddie Bauer
My 06 Explorer has 40k miles on it. About 2 weeks ago I noticed it would make a loud roaring sound when I would give it gas. It would usually stop when I hit about 30-35mph and then it sounded fine. (until I would stop and then it would do it again) I was on the highway this weekend and all of a sudden my temperature gauge went to HOT and my green lights turned to red. Then as quick as it did that, it went back to normal. The gauge just kinda jumped around. Anyone else had this happen? I would think if it was overheating, the gauge wouldn't jump, it would be more consistent. Will replacing the fan clutch take care of the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks! I read through a lot of the posts, and it definitely sounds like it's my radiator. Do you think it is OK to drive? I am having it worked on Tuesday, but I drove it to work today. As long as the gauge isn't showing HOT, am I ok? I only have to drive it about 10 mins to get from work to home. I just don't want to blow the thing up!

Just make sure the radiator is nice and full otherwise you could damage the motor.

I just checked the cooling level in the reserve (the white tub) and it's bone dry. I didn't open the cap on the radiator. I'll check that. What's gets me is I am pretty sure I would notice leaks, and I have never seen any coolant leaking.

its usually a pinhole that slowly sprays out the coolent and water over time. fill it up before driving even if it is just water that should hold for your 10 min drive.

Back