• Register Today It's free!

Fan Shroud?

Joes4x4Ranger

Reaction score
City, State
The center of Hell, Parker, Arizona!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Are the Manual Trans, and Automatic Trans Fan shrouds the same? I have a Manual trans, but I put the bigger 2 Row Automatic Radiator in it (better cooling in the Hell hole I live in). Now the fan no longer fits, it rubs on the shroud.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think that they would be the same.

The radiators are the same, and the shroud mounts to the radiator.

Not totally sure but my 91 used to be a manual, it had a thinner radiator and larger fan shroud, when I put in my larger radiator from a parts truck I also needed to add the fan shroud because the shroud for the smaller radiator was too thick.

That seems to make sense, so to answer your question, yes, you probably need a manual tranny fan shroud. Don't rule out changing your fan clutch as well. I see you are in AZ and that made all the difference in my truck.

I have a Manual tranny but I'm using the thicker radiator. Fan clutch is same part # for any trans so the difference must be the shroud.

My shroud is for the thinner radiator, guess I'll need to get a shroud off a rig with an automatic trans.

yeah, that will do the trick, and I'm sorry I didn't clarify, the fan clutch could be another reason your truck is running hot. I changed mine and it made the truck run much cooler.

Assuming you dont' mind loosing a little mpg.. go with the Hayden Sever Duty fan clutch.. It spins I believe 20-30% of shaft speed with disengaged and 90% when engaged.. thats about as much as your gonna get from a fan clutch, BUT it will hurt your mileage a little since it'll be spinning the fan more than a regular or heavy duty clutch (hayden Brand).

~Mark

MPG is an issue, I'll stick with the reg duty clutch and get the shroud that fits my radiator. I found the right shroud at Flagstaff Auto Recyclers.

I got the thing "Rigged" right now with a spacer that came with the plastic fan blade. It seems like with the shroud I have now, the fan still sits too beep in and dosent "vent" the air correctly. The fan is 100% covered by the shroud. I've looked at 6 cars in my work parking lot and ALL have the trailing edge of the fan exposed.

Back