Fan Shroud | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fan Shroud

BeauJ

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Since my old Flex-A-Lite fan went through my hood and ate up my shroud, I took it off. I went from a 16.5" fan to and 18" Flex-A-Lite. The older fan keeps it way cooler than stock, and the newer one is better.

I've heard alot of people say it won't cool right without it and other say it will cool right. I'm going to Florida in August, and I'm wondering if it will be fine without the shroud? I've made several 2 hour trips with no problem just for reference.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shrouds allow a smaller fan to be more efficient. You should be OK with your bigger diameter fan.

you'll be fine. I run 35's, 3:73 gears and no shroud on the stock fan and she stays right above stock normal temp

cooling is 20% more efficient with a full shroud, air will always take the path of least resistance, the shroud ensures the air goes through the radiator, past the fan, and over the engine....

get a shroud, make one of some sort.
You can get by without one sure, but once that heat starts to climb you will wish you had one.

The shroud is basically only necessary in slow moving conditions, like stop and go traffic. Good luck,

Back