• Register Today It's free!

Few questions from a new guy

shaman

Reaction score
City, State
Georgetown, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 GTP
Been reading for a few hours now, and some of my questions have been answered. If i am wrong correct me

5.0 tranny is a 4r70w
What needs to be done to keep it alive? Syn fluids, new filter, bigger cooler?

rear end is 8.8
Seems that most of them are open diffs. What gears come stock?

98 up got gt-40P heads?
I have owned an explorer intake but didn't know what year, just that it had external EGR.

Are there any limits on LSA for cam?

The Explorer would be used for some long distance driving carrying a good amount of stuff. I don't plan on offroading, and the AWD system seems to have a lot of problems, especially for what i would be using it for, highway driving and some spontaneous acceleration testing.

I don't plan on making a street killer SUV, but if i could find a shop and a week off it would get ported heads intake and cam

There are plenty of 5.0 Explorers in Austin with between 80-100K miles for $5-6K

Is there anything that i need to be looking at when looking at an Explorer/Mountaineer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

shaman said:
5.0 tranny is a 4r70w
What needs to be done to keep it alive? Syn fluids, new filter, bigger cooler?

rear end is 8.8
Seems that most of them are open diffs. What gears come stock?

Synthetic fluid is always prudent. The addition of an external filter is also recommended ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34136&highlight=transmission+filter ). Extra cooling capacity is always a good thing.

There is no such thing a a "stock" gear ratio;any were available. Look on the door sticker for the code.

Good luck ....

off-road97Xplor said:
Dont forget exhaust if you get the intake

Sorry, figured that exhaust was understood. Depending on what the underside looks like i was planning 2.5 Y'ed to a 3" cat then we will see from there, but it kinda depends what Texas will allow

Another question i thought of last night is will the early 5.0's 95 and 96 with gt-40's take normal headers? I have heard that the 98 and ups had better trannies though, is this correct?

Give me call if you want I can send you to some good local ppl for the porting and such, plug have an SCT chip burnt with a wideband for the pooter.

I'm at the Round Rock Firestone.

Jeff - :navajo:

Another question i thought of last night is will the early 5.0's 95 and 96 with gt-40's take normal headers? I have heard that the 98 and ups had better trannies though, is this correct?

Anyone have an answer?

shaman said:

Niether will take the "mustang" style headers, it has to be similar to the same shape and design.

I have seen another member modd a set of LT's to work.

Here's the link to the headers: http://www.torquemonsterheaders.com/

As for the tranny's coldn't tell you.

*search* ;)

SVO said:
Niether will take the "mustang" style headers, it has to be similar to the same shape and design.

I have seen another member modd a set of LT's to work.

Here's the link to the headers: http://www.torquemonsterheaders.com/

As for the tranny's coldn't tell you.

*search* ;)

For $600 i would search for a set of FMS's

Cam selection

The AWD is very reliable, but is not an offroading piece, it has one speed.

All of the these late AODE's are very good. They are all descendents of the 1980 AOD, and past about 1990 , they are very reliable. All internal(not valve body) newer parts will go into all of the older AOD's.

I gather that the stock cams are poor, if you change it, please don't buy an "E" cam. That is like all Ford SVT roller cams, for higher RPM lightweight Mustang 302's. They are like Flowmasters, everybody's got them.
Be different, buy the best cam for your application: Decide on your choice of cam manufacturer, and ask their tech dept. for a recommendation. That is their job. All Ford engines need help in the exhaust flow.

All Ford cams have equal exhaust profiles as the intake profiles. Buy a split duration cam, with as much more exhaust duration than intake, as possible. If you will do this, you will get better bottom end, better towing, better gas mileage, and a better idle.
Good luck,
DonW

CDW6212R said:
The AWD is very reliable, but is not an offroading piece, it has one speed.

All of the these late AODE's are very good. They are all descendents of the 1980 AOD, and past about 1990 , they are very reliable. All internal(not valve body) newer parts will go into all of the older AOD's.

I gather that the stock cams are poor, if you change it, please don't buy an "E" cam. That is like all Ford SVT roller cams, for higher RPM lightweight Mustang 302's. They are like Flowmasters, everybody's got them.
Be different, buy the best cam for your application: Decide on your choice of cam manufacturer, and ask their tech dept. for a recommendation. That is their job. All Ford engines need help in the exhaust flow.

All Ford cams have equal exhaust profiles as the intake profiles. Buy a split duration cam, with as much more exhaust duration than intake, as possible. If you will do this, you will get better bottom end, better towing, better gas mileage, and a better idle.
Good luck,
DonW

I know alot of people to talk to about cams, so that won't be a problem.

Back